Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Good morning. I need your help. I don't know how to translate the phrase 'denial rule'. What I need to know is if the phrase belongs to a specific register like business English or economics lingo or it can be used generally just to say that you refuse to do something or comply with someone's request.
Thank you very much, dora anselmo

Please quote the complete sentence in which you found the phrase.

Last edited by a moderator:

doranselmo

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
The phrase comes from a resolution on arms exports and it reads like this:
Adopt a presumption of denial rule for items controlled for reasons of national security,biological and chemical weapon proliferation.....

Thank you

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The phrase "denial rule" seems to me to be a newly minted phrase. I think additional context would be helpful in this case.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I believe it is to be understood as a rule that has a presumption of denial. That is, for these "dangerous" items the burden of proof is on the person who claims to need them to prove that he has a good reason and is trustworthy. As opposed to the government having to prove that a given person should be prohibited for cause. They are prohibited by default. It's a presumption of guilt, basically.

doranselmo

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I believe it is to be understood as a rule that has a presumption of denial. That is, for these "dangerous" items the burden of proof is on the person who claims to need them to prove that he has a good reason and is trustworthy. As opposed to the government having to prove that a given person should be prohibited for cause. They are prohibited by default. It's a presumption of guilt, basically.

Thank you . Your answer is perfect. Now it's up to me to find the right Italian equivalent, which I don't think exists. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.