Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi

I want to know what "give a good piece " in this sentence :

I'd give a good piece for such a thing these days,"

Tnx

Hi,

I'd like [STRIKE]want[/STRIKE] to know what "give a good piece" in this sentence means:

"I'd give a good piece for such a thing these days."

[STRIKE]Tnx[/STRIKE] Thanks

I presume it's a reference to a high-denomination coin.

;-)

Where did you find this sentence, arashrad?

I'd guess it was a typo for 'price'.

I Googled it and found this:

URL deleted by moderator. Please see below.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a warning about visiting that site.

I have deleted the URL following Mike's remark. It sounds like it might be suspicious. Any other moderator can restore it if they think it's OK.

teechar, if you trust the site, please quote any passages from it that you find relevant.

Oops!
Thanks for the alert folks!

Mike and Rover: I have no idea whether the site is trustworthy! I didn't get any warning about it from Google or from my anit-ivirus software. I'm curious to know what the warnings were.

I got a warning from my anti-virus software that it was not safe to proceed. Would I like to go back to safety? I did.

I've just tested the URL in Norton Safeweb, and it came up as safe!
https://safeweb.norton.com/

In any case, here is the text I was referring to:

{ Old Cob nodded before he cleared his throat and launched back into the story. “Now this amulet was worth a whole bucket of gold nobles, but on account of Taborlin’s kindness, the tinker sold it to him for nothing but an iron penny, a copper penny, and a silver penny. It was black as a winter night and cold as ice to touch, but so long as it was round his neck, Taborlin would be safe from the harm of evil things. Demons and such.”
“I’d give a good piece for such a thing these days,” Shep said darkly. He had drunk most and talked least over the course of the evening. }

The Name of the Wind- Patrick Rothfuss

That's odd because I have Norton Site Advisor on my computer. At any rate, sorry for the seemingly false alarm.

Not at all Mike; better safe than sorry! :cool:

In any case, here is the text I was referring to

I was surprised that the text was not older, though it is a genre that uses archaisms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back