Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Netherlands
Which version of each sentences should I use?

Give me the creeps.
Give me creeps.

Give me the goosebumps.
Give me goosebumps.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Which version of each sentences should I use?

Give me the creeps. ✅ (Grammatically correct but see my response below.)
Give me creeps. ❌

Give me the goosebumps. ❌
Give me goosebumps. ✅ (Grammatically correct but see my response below.)
None of them work. You've used an imperative form at the start of each sentence. I can't think of any circumstance under which I would demand that someone either give me the creeps or goosebumps.

As you can see above, when used appropriately, we use "give someone the creeps" but "give someone goosebumps".

Marika33

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Netherlands
None of them work. You've used an imperative form at the start of each sentence. I can't think of any circumstance under which I would demand that someone either give me the creeps or goosebumps.
I hope you understand that saying "none of them work" is a total nonsense since it's very subjective.
You can say, "Give me goosebumps as you used to do" having found the song you would listen to in your childhood. At the very least, one can say, "Give me goosebumps" at the moment their man comes inside them.

we use "give someone the creeps" but "give someone goosebumps".
Another proof of why English articles sometimes make zero sense.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I hope you understand that saying "none of them work" is a total nonsense since it's very subjective.
It's not nonsense at all. I'm sorry you don't feel like the advice I've given you is useful. It would be nice if you'd express some gratitude for the work we put in, even if you don't like our responses.
You can could say no comma here "Give me goosebumps as you used to do" having found the a song you would used to listen to in your childhood.
Who would you say that to? It sounds like you're saying it to the song.
At the very least, one can say, "Give me goosebumps" at the moment [sexual reference deleted].
Please bear in mind that we have users here as young as 14. Using a sexual reference is entirely inappropriate.
Another proof of why English articles sometimes make zero sense.
I can't argue with that!

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No native speaker would use either of those expressions in the manner you suggest. Doing so screams "nonnative speaker".

They're set phrases used as part of a slightly longer expression. Something gives you the creeps/goosebumps. Neither is used as an imperative.

Perhaps you may not realize how rude and condescending your response to emsr2d2's helpful correction truly came across as. As this is a language learning forum, sometimes there are unintentional acts of rudeness that are simply the result of language barriers. I hope that's the case here.

That's in addition to the inappropriate sexual reference. Surely you could have found some other example (positive or negative) that gives you goosebumps/the creeps?

Another similar express is 'give someone the chills'. Note that 'the chills' and 'goosebumps' can reflect both negative and positive experiences, but 'the creeps' only has negative connotations.

güey

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine

Marika33

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Netherlands
I take it you don't want us to respond to your questions any more.
How would you know that? I just say that there could be many different situations in which we could say that, we just have to use our imagination instead of saying that "None of them work".

So I guess zero article makes double-zero sense then.😏
Most likely.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How would you know that?
I believe Piscean was suggesting that the level of rudeness in your response might well result in users not being prepared to help you.
I just say said that there could be many different situations in which we could say that; we just have to use our imagination instead of saying that "None of them work".
I said clearly in my post that I could not think of any situation in which I would use the imperative. If there were "many different situations in which we could say that", I wouldn't have said what I did. If you're here to learn, you need to accept that when native speakers tell you that something just isn't used, or isn't natural, regardless of it being grammatical, they do actually know what they're talking about.

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
I believe Piscean was suggesting that the level of rudeness in your response might well result in users not being prepared to help you.
(y)

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Thread closed. Any more nonsense from you, Marika33, and you shall get banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.