Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I have a question about what "give somebody a look" means.

Example1.
He gave me a really dirty look. It means he looked at me in a disapproving way.

Example2.
But, in the novel, Game of Thrones,
......, giving Ser Waymar a good long look at the stump.......
It means the guy makes Ser Waymar look at the stump

My question:
"I give him a look" means "I look at him".
"I give him a look at the car" means "I make him look at the car".
Are they right? Or weird?

Thank you

As you have worked out, there are two meanings of "give somebody a look".

The "I look at him" usage entails more than just looking at someone. It involves looking at someone - specifically meeting their gaze - using a specific expression which conveys a particular message to them. It may convey disapproval, as in the example you gave, or surprise, or joy etc etc. Sometimes the message is specified, as in "really dirty look"; sometimes the message is clear only from the context, as in "I thought he was going to tell the policeman what we had been doing, so I gave him a look. That shut him up."

The "I gave him a look at the car" usage does not imply that you "made" him look at the car, rather that you "allowed" him to look, or "invited" him to look at the car. There is no element of compulsion implied.

As you have worked out, there are two meanings of "give somebody a look".

The "I look at him" usage entails more than just looking at someone. It involves looking at someone - specifically meeting their gaze - using a specific expression which conveys a particular message to them. It may convey disapproval, as in the example you gave, or surprise, or joy etc etc. Sometimes the message is specified, as in "really dirty look"; sometimes the message is clear only from the context, as in "I thought he was going to tell the policeman what we had been doing, so I gave him a look. That shut him up."

The "I gave him a look at the car" usage does not imply that you "made" him look at the car, rather that you "allowed" him to look, or "invited" him to look at the car. There is no element of compulsion implied.

Thank you!
That's really helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back