Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
(23:49) The speaker said: "Some people have a growth mindset where they look at challenges as something that they can overcome, given enough hard work and support from family..."

I have questions about the usage of "given".
Can the sentence be rewritten like this "If some people is given enough hard work and support from family, they can overcome the challenge"?
The rewritten sentence doesn't sound right because I think he meant "If enough hard work and support from family are present, then challenges can be overcome".

What does "given" mean in that sentence? How could the sentence be rewritten?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. The hard work is his. The support from family is additional.

Check subject/verb agreement.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
No. The hard work is his. The support from family is additional.

Check subject/verb agreement.
I don't understand. Do you mean that "Some people have a growth mindset where they look at challenges as something that they can overcome, given enough hard work" is a complete sentence?

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The hard work is his. The support from family is additional.
I understand that so I don't understand what "given" mean there.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Some people have a growth mindset where they look at challenges as something that they can overcome, (if they are) given enough hard work and support from family..."
The words in bracket are understood and probably makes you understand the sentence better.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The words in bracket are understood and probably makes you understand the sentence better.
Isn’t it that they should work hard, not they are given hard work?

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I interpret it like this:

given enough hard work and support from family
=
if they work hard enough and have enough support from their family

I don't think he means 'if they are given enough hard work'. He's using given in the sense of 'on condition that'.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I wrote:
Some people argue that teachers should not assign homework to children because it is useless. However I think doing homework is important for children to retain knowledge, given that it is designed appropriately.

Did I use “given” correctly?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo Excellent!
I don't understand. Do you mean that "Some people have a growth mindset where they look at challenges as something that they can overcome, given enough hard work" is a complete sentence?
Yes, it is.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Did I use “given” correctly?

No. In your sentence, you should use 'provided'.

Some people argue that teachers should not assign homework to children because it is useless. However, I think doing homework is important for children to retain knowledge, provided that it is designed appropriately.

Here's a sentence with 'given'. Try to spot the difference:

Some people argue that teachers should not assign homework to children because it is useless. However, I think doing homework is important for children, given that it encourages them to review what they have learnt in class.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
However, I think doing homework is important for children to retain knowledge, provided that it is designed appropriately.
I think "provided that' means 'as long as'. If homework is designed appropriately, then doing homework is important to children.
However, I think doing homework is important for children, given that it encourages them to review what they have learnt in class.
"Given that" means "since". Since homework encourages them to review what they have learnt in class, doing homework is important for children.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I wrote:

1. Given enough patience, I can solve this question. (If I have enough patience, I can solve this question)
2. Given enough patience, students can find out the answer. (If students have enough patient, students can find out the answer.)
3. Given enough patience, John's mother will forgive him. (If John's mother have enough patience, she will forgive John) (Actually I want to say If John has enough patience, his mother will forgive him.)

Are they correct?

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think "provided that' means 'as long as'. If homework is designed appropriately, then doing homework is important to children.

Yes, right.

"Given that" means "since". Since homework encourages them to review what they have learnt in class, doing homework is important for children.

Yes, good.