Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Double Wimbledon champion Sir Andy Murray, 33, was given money to help fund coaching.

Source: https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/ne...62/sean-connery-charity-scotland-andy-murray/

I think that technically, it is ambiguous who helped fund coaching.
It could have been "Sir Andu Murry" or "someone who gave moneny to Sir Andu Murry".
I think that "in order for ( )" should be inserted just before "to help fund coaching".
What do you think about that?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think that "in order for ( )" should be inserted just before "to help fund coaching".
That doesn't work.

In the context of that article, the original is clear enough.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
It isn't ambiguous. It means Andy Murray (not Andu Murry) received money that was used to pay for his coaching. If Murray was the one who was helping to fund someone else's coaching, the writer would have worded it differently.

It's unnecessary and it'd make the sentence odd and ungrammatical. And it doesn't do anything for the "ambiguity" that you think exists.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There's nothing wrong with the original. It's just another way of saying that he was given money to help him pay his coach.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Technically, many sentences can be considered ambiguous.

I went for a walk wearing my new shoes. This means "I went for a walk [while I was] wearing my new shoes".

By the same logic, if a schoolboy says "I saw a soldier holding a gun", you could argue that it can be read as "I saw a soldier [while I was] holding a gun". But we know that he meant "I saw a soldier [who was] holding a gun", because we use common sense and logic and that tells us a soldier is more likely to have a gun than a schoolboy.

Similarly, when we hear that a charity gave money to a tennis player to help fund coaching, common sense tells us that that the money was used to pay for the coaching he received, and not so that he could help someone else coach someone else.

Last edited:

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
  • Double Wimbledon champion Sir Andy Murray, 33, was given money to help fund coaching.
  • But in 2025, that funding option will be phased out, meaning parents will no longer be given money to pay for services they choose.

"To help fund coaching" doesn't mean "in order for Sir Andy Murray to help fund coaching" but "to pay for services they choose" means "in order for parents to pay for services they choose".
That is the ambiguity, which I think exists.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
You think there's an ambiguity because you're looking for a pattern or a rule. English isn't like that. Two different sentences can have the same structure but may be interpreted in different ways.

I wouldn't call it ambiguity. It's a feature of the language. That's how it is.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"to" could be replaced by "with which parents can", but not just "with which parents". The repetition of "parents" would be irritating. You could use "with which they can".

Status
Not open for further replies.