Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
What does "given" mean in the following sentence? "Sometimes they do a hog roast as well, which is where they cook a pig basically and everyone gets given sandwiches with that."

Please tell us the source and author of anything you quote.

It is from

"HOBBIES & PASTIMES
VOCABULARY
CONVERSATION PRACTICE
© ENGLISH WITH LUCY
YOUTUBE. COM/ENGLISH WITH LUCY
CONVERSATION TRANSCRIPT:"

The original is rather odd. The position of "basically" is strange. I have no idea how one would "cook a pig basically". Also, "gets given" strikes me as an unusual thing to teach learners. I'd expect "is given". Would you have had less trouble understanding the sentence if it had said that? Using "with that" at the end is unnatural.

The original is rather odd. The position of "basically" is strange. I have no idea how one would "cook a pig basically". Also, "gets given" strikes me as an unusual thing to teach learners. I'd expect "is given". Would you have had less trouble understanding the sentence if it had said that? Using "with that" at the end is unnatural.
It makes me think that the number of "likes" which such bloggers (English teachers) normally receive do not say authomatically about the quality of such materials. I have wrote down the combination of words initially, thinking that it is an interesting collocation for me to learn, which I could use in the future, that is to say in the English speaking community. Now I see that it appears to be "strange" for you as a professional teacher. What is the right collocation you would use instead? I also pointed out the usage of "with that" in the sentence but decided not to ask a question about its usage. I thought it would mean "meanwhile" in the context.

It makes me think that the number of "likes" which such bloggers (English teachers) normally receive does not say authomatically about necessarily endorse the quality of such materials. I have wrote written down the combination of words initially, thinking that it is authentic and useful. an interesting collocation for me to learn, which I could use in the future, that is to say in the English speaking community. Now I see that it appears to be "strange" for you as a professional teacher. What is the right collocation that you would use instead?
If you were to set off "basically" with two commas, then it would be fine.
"... which is where they cook a pig, basically, and everyone ..."
This is quite common, especially in spoken English. Perhaps the original was part of some transcript of someone talking.

I also pointed out the usage of "with that" in the sentence but decided not to ask a question about its usage. I thought it would mean "meanwhile" in the context.
No. "With that" just means with the roast.

I see you posted the same thread here after you had received replies from our forum.

That's fair enough, but if you ever do the same thing the other way round, please remember to post a link to the other forum and tell us why you weren't satisfied with the answers you received there.

I see you posted the same thread here after you had received replies from our forum.

That's fair enough, but if you ever do the same thing the other way round, please remember to post a link to the other forum and tell us why you weren't satisfied with the answers you received there.
I thought that I have asked too more questions for the last time, feeling awkward a little bit. I decided to just have an alternative forum to cut down the number of questions I could have. Now I am testing whether the alternative forum's comments are helpful and meet my expectations. I am studying English very intestively these days, considering it as competive advantage at Ukrainian employment market. The employment opportunities are extemely limited here during to the war situation and military bans in place. The competition is extremely high and business opportunities are limited. My initial idea was to ask the new forum to check a brief conversations/diaologue (2 up to 6 phrases which I am trying to create myself using various sources and my imaginations). Regretfully, the rules, as far as I understand, do not allow a sort of proofreading even the dialogues are quite short. I am also trying to incorporate Youtube tools (like vocabulary practice) in my learning process as watching itself helps me to distract from problems. having my family leave abroad during due to the agression. In other words, I am involving all the resources I think reasonable for me at the moment. Surely, your comment is fair enough and I will be following your requests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back