Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Is "giving back" used even if you were not benefited by someone? The Food Bank always gives something to people, not getting anything. Maybe it's a general concept regardless of give or take.

2p) The Food Bank story provides just one example of how students majoring in a variety of arts can volunteer using their skills and talents. At art schools, volunteerism is encouraged as a positive way for students to expresst hemselves creatively. “We believe that giving back is the right thing to do and we want students to be connected to the community,” said the director at the art school. “While students are helping the community, they are actually building their work skills as well.”

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Is "giving back" used even if you were not benefited by someone? The Food Bank always gives something to people, not getting anything. Maybe it's a general concept regardless of give or take.

2p) The Food Bank story provides just one example of howstudentsmajoring in a variety of arts can volunteerusing their skills and talents. At art schools, volunteerismis encouragedas a positive way for students to expressthemselvescreatively. “We believe that giving backis the right thing to do and we want students to be connected to the community,” said the director at the art school. “While students are helping the community, they are actually building their work skills as well.”

Before we attempt to answer your question please edit this text using correct spacing between the words.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I did, sorry!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There's still volunteerismis encouragedas and expressthemselvescreatively to be edited.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, volunteering is often referred to as "giving back," meaning to society as a whole. It doesn't always make a lot of sense, but it makes people feel obligated.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
There's still volunteerismis encouragedas and expressthemselvescreatively to be edited.
This is a problem specific to this editor. It often won't accept accurate copy and paste from Word or Open Office. I've done this several times, and it's only after I read my post back that I can see what a hash this program has made of it.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I think the assumption is that art students are being at least partly funded by the community, so doing community work is 'giving back'. Yes, it's usually used only when the people giving back have benefited (or are seen to have benefited).

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
This is a problem specific to this editor. It often won't accept accurate copy and paste from Word or Open Office. I've done this several times, and it's only after I read my post back that I can see what a hash this program has made of it.

Yes — it happens to me, too.

We have to take the trouble to use the Edit Post feature to insert the missing spaces ourselves.

TomUK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
UK
There's still volunteerismis encouragedas ...

For one moment I thought I had pressed the wrong button and ended up in some Latin forum.

TomUK

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In any case, I don't see "giving back" as associated specifically with volunteerism... but rather, it's a way for the fortunate, who have good jobs, a good education, and a home, to repay the community as a whole for their good fortune, by providing resources to "at risk groups" or persons in need.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.