Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
If someone feels guilty about something, can I say "something is gnawing at the edge of their conscience".

Is this okay?

Laura regretted the way she'd treated William. A pang of guilt gnawed at the edge of her conscience for leaving him hanging. She should've at least given him a sense of closure.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wouldn't bother with "the edge of". Saying "gnawed at her conscience" is OK. However, I'd change the word order of that sentence and start with "A pang of guilt for leaving him hanging ...".

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I wouldn't bother with "the edge of". Saying "gnawed at her conscience" is OK. However, I'd change the word order of that sentence and start with "A pang of guilt for leaving him hanging ...".
Are these both okay?

1. Laura regretted the way she'd treated William. A pang of guilt for leaving him hanging gnawed at the edge of her conscience. She should've at least given him a sense of closure.

2. Laura regretted the way she'd treated William. A pang of guilt for leaving him hanging gnawed at her conscience. She should've at least given him a sense of closure.

Status
Not open for further replies.