going to be vs will be

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are very sharp, ostap77, if I may say so. We could certainly say "I am going to be needing X" if we actually meant that. For example, if my wife is making soup, and I'm supposed to chop the vegetables, she might well say, "I'm going to be needing the carrots at 3:00." Still, "going to need" would be much more usual.

"I've been wanting to" is perfectly natural.

Sorry. Hope no hard feelings taken. I'm just trying to figure things out and get the most of it.

Sorry. Hope no hard feelings taken. I'm just trying to figure things out and get the most of it.
No, I'm sorry. I meant "sharp" as in intelligent.

No, I'm sorry. I meant "sharp" as in intelligent.

Since we are good I have an itch to ask the next question, don't we say when a friend who's joined us for the weekend "This is John. He's going to be staying we us."? In this case there is not like an exact time definition.

Last edited:
Since we are good I have an itch to ask the next question, don't we say when a friend who's joined us for the weekend "This is John. He's going to be staying we us."? In this case there is not like an exat time definition.

It might be better to start a new thread so that other people can more easily find it and answer.

I think that in this case, "going to be" does imply a vaguer time frame than "will be" and perhaps a longer one.

It might be better to start a new thread so that other people can more easily find it and answer.

I think that in this case, "going to be" does imply a vaguer time frame than "will be" and perhaps a longer one.

So I've started a new thread "will/going to be possible meanings".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back