Grading by efforts (persuasive essay for practice)

Status
Not open for further replies.

THOUGHTFUL

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Should students be graded on efforts? Specify your position through examples. (I got this prompt from a site.)

Grading system has been changing from time to time. Education and skills are measured by testing students. However, the grading criteria are the issue of debate for educator and grader, it represents a complete assessment of students. I believe that every student is different from other with respect to ability, creativity, and accountability. So, their efforts should be counted and graded.

Students' efforts and practice become their habit if they will encourage and analyze through attempts. The more they try, the better grades they will get. This theory will enhance their potentiality as well as sharpen their skills. For example, many students can enhance their math skills by practice more.

Moreover, hardwork and endeavor should be rewarded. Rewards not only increase students' confidence, but also lead to try even harder in future. It benefits both
ways; the students get better grades as well as increase their abilities. If their efforts are not counted, they may discourage and give up.

Furthermore, the aim of education is to make students successful and independent in life; efforts motivate towards the aim. Practice develops the focus, and explore many ways to solve the problem. Many inventions such as electricity and bulb are the result of
the efforts. So, attempts should include in grades.

In conclusion, grading the efforts of students will increase their confidence,make habit of hard work. It will keep the students motivated to their goal. Efforts improve the students overall performance if they included in the grading system.

Please help to improve the writing by correction.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I've only read your introduction, and I see you're now thinking about structure, which is very good. However, you're still using "should" in the introduction (please avoid that). Also, pay closer attention to your grammar. Rewrite those introduction sentences in a simpler and more direct way.
Do that and re-post your edited introduction (only) below.

THOUGHTFUL

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[FONT=&quot] ​[/FONT]Grading system has been changing from time to time. Tests measure students' skills and academic growth. However, the grading criteria are the issue of debate for educator and grader, they represent a complete assessment of students. I believe, every student is different from other with respect to ability, creativity, and accountability. So, students efforts are as important as their knowledge.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
The method of assessing academic performance has changed over the years. [STRIKE]Grading system has been changing from time to time.[/STRIKE] Tests are commonly used to measure students' skills and academic growth. However, there is much debate [STRIKE]grading criteria are the issue of debate for[/STRIKE] among educators and graders [STRIKE], they represent a complete[/STRIKE] as to the best assessment approach. [STRIKE]of students.[/STRIKE] I believe every student is different [STRIKE]from other[/STRIKE] with respect to ability, creativity, and aptitude, and that tests alone cannot accurately or fairly assess a student. [STRIKE]accountability. So, students efforts are as important as their knowledge.[/STRIKE]

Now I'd like you to write two or three sentences outlining the reasons for your position. Do not write whole paragraphs, just short sentences.

THOUGHTFUL

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1.Hard work and endeavor should be rewarded.
2.efforts sharpen the skills.
3.Positive efforts motivate toward aim and independence.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I think those all fit into one point. I must say that the prompt you chose is rather vague, but I suspect it expects you to talk about the various ways of assessing students.

Can you think of some reasons why exams/tests can sometimes be unfair? List them below.

Status
Not open for further replies.