Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Can I use "gray area" in the sentence below?

"She is terrible at computers. It's gray area for her."

1. We don't say someone is terrible "at computers". You can be terrible with computers, at computing, at using computers etc, but not "at computers".
2. Even if "grey area" (BrE spelling) were correct, you've omitted the relevant article.

1. We don't say someone is terrible "at computers". You can be terrible with computers, at computing, at using computers etc, but not "at computers".
2. Even if "grey area" (BrE spelling) were correct, you've omitted the relevant article.

Is using "bad" and "good" also wrong? "She is bad/good at computers?"

Yes. You have just replaced 'terrible' with different adjectives.

Yes. You have just replaced 'terrible' with different adjectives.

But isn't it correct with other words? For example, "She is good/bad at tennis"?

Yes, but "computers" isn't an activity/sport. It's simply a plural noun. We don't "do/play computers".

Yes, but "computers" isn't an activity/sport. It's simply a plural noun. We don't "do/play computers".

So if I use "good" or "bad" I should use a singular noun or gerund.

1. "She is good/bad at teaching."

2. "He is good at learning languages".

3. "He is good with languages" but not "He is good/bad at languages".

That's not how we use GRAY AREA.

Have you looked it up yet?

Personally, I don't have a problem with 'good/bad at computers'. It's not unheard of in my area.

Personally, I don't have a problem with 'good/bad at computers'. It's not unheard of in my area.

That's interesting. Thanks for letting me know.

It's fine with me, too.

It's gray area that I'd change.

"grey area" simply does not work in that context.

"grey area" simply does not work in that context.
Exactly.

Rachel, have you looked up gray area? Do you see why it doesnt fit? Can you try to reword it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly.

Rachel, Have you looked up gray area? Do you see why it doesnt fit? Can you try to reword it?

I did before asking my question. I was not sure if you use it to describe something we are not good at. Would "au fait" work?

I use it in French, never in English.

From Longman: "used to talk about a situation in which something is not clearly a particular thing, so that people are not sure how to deal with it"

NOTE : AE gray = BE grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back