Member Type
Other
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I know about Scrooge McDuck in green eyeshades, being in the finance trade.
But who are they, green eyeshades people, exactly? I need to translate the term. Thank you.

Suggest you use your favorite search engine for the term "green eyeshades".

Sorry, I do not understand your answer. Is it irony/sarcasm?

I know about Scrooge McDuck in green eyeshades, being in the finance trade.

But who are they, green eyeshades people, exactly? I need to translate the term. Thank you.

Your question only mentions "green eyeshades people" in the question. Where did you see the phrase? As Billmcd said, if you just want to know what "green eyeshades" are, then Google it.

I googled green eyeshades people and got 293,000 hits, so people are using it. I can only guess that it refers to accountants and auditors who traditionally wore green eyeshades.

I did. He could as well send me to the Oxford dictionary or so. Here I am not looking for instructions on how to use search engines. I am looking for natives explanation or answer on how they percieve words. And I really appreciate their answers... if they answer.

To understand maybe, but not to translate. What should I take for translation - "finance traders", gambling community or dealers? I never come here before I have googled the term and used every other possibility.

Why not translate 'green eyeshade people' literally and let the reader figure out what it means?

Last edited:
It is not a collection of riddles I am working on. Just imagine I translate you literally a French expression "to have bristle on the bum" and let you figure that it means to be courageous.

I did. He could as well send me to the Oxford dictionary or so. Here I am not looking for instructions on how to use search engines. I am looking for natives explanation or answer on how they percieve words. And I really appreciate their answers... if they answer.
See post #5.

To understand maybe, but not to translate. What should I take for translation - "finance traders", gambling community or dealers? I never come here before I have googled the term and used every other possibility.
What's wrong with 'auditors and accountants' or 'people in the world of finance'?

I've never heard the phrase in my life. For me to understand it, you would just have to say what 5jj suggested - people who work in finance.

Sorry, I do not understand your answer. Is it irony/sarcasm?

OK meliss, I did it for you. Search engines can be a wonderful tool.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_eyeshade‎

Green eyeshades are a type of visor that were worn most often from the late 19th century to the middle 20th century by accountants, telegraphers, copy editors ...

OK meliss, I did it for you. Search engines can be a wonderful tool.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_eyeshade‎

Green eyeshades are a type of visor that were worn most often from the late 19th century to the middle 20th century by accountants, telegraphers, copy editors ...
Thank you. As I said above I had done it before, but it did not help. Thank you all of you, now I'll try it as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back