Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
What are the pros and cons of handwriting and typing? Which style of writing do you prefer?

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In most contexts, typeface is easier to read. However, in some contexts, handwriting is more personal- I would not print a letter of condolences.

saturday4395

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Thanks for your reply.��
May I ask you what’s your opinion about using typing or handwriting during the class? Is it good or bad method to use cellphone or computer to take note or to study during the class ?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Why don't you tell us your opinion first?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What are the [STRIKE]pron[/STRIKE] pros and cons [STRIKE]about[/STRIKE] of handwriting and typing? Which style of writing do you prefer?

Note my corrections above.

Some people finding writing things out by hand easier/faster than typing. However, if your handwriting isn't very legible, other people will have trouble reading it. If the notes are purely for your own use, choose your preferred method and stick with it. It depends on the target audience.

saturday4395

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
In my opinion both of typing or handwriting has their own pros and cons, also both of them play an important role in our daily life.There’s no doubt digital communication methods are becoming the standard in our technology age.But as we handwrite notes we summarize in order to keep up .This practice forces the brain to listen, digest and synthesize information, which leads to a more in-depth knowledge of material. Writing by hand also can point us focus on what the teacher teach in class.However,using a computer to take notes does allow for more flexible formatting. Digital note taking also makes it very easy to add, change and delete any items you may miss or want to expand on later. To sum up, there’s no correct answer about which styles of writing is the best. Both of them have advantage and disadvantage no one is the best or the worst. Typing and handwriting complement each other not a single one of these two writing style can be in capable standing alone.I'm wondering everyone's opinion about if it is good or not to use cellphone or computer during class to help the students study and what do you prefer regard to take notes by typing or write by hand?

saturday4395

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Thank you.:up:

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]ok[/STRIKE] OK, I will keep it in mind. Thanks for your reply. :)

Thank [STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] you. :up:

Please note my corrections above. It's important to follow these rules of written English at all times:
- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with one appropriate punctuation mark.

You can say "Thank you" or "Thanks" but not "Thanks you".
You can say "OK" or "okay". At the start of a sentence, that would be "OK" or "Okay".

I don't have time to deal with post #8 at the moment.

nigele2

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Thanks for your reply.��
May I ask you what’s your opinion about using typing or handwriting during the class?

I try to make it clear when students need to take notes - which is not very often. I'd rather they listened, thought and participated.

I offer notes for them to access after the class. I update these immediately after the class, so anything that arose unexpectedly during the class is not missed. A photograph of the whiteboard can also be included. It takes no more than 10 minutes.

The thought of students hammering into mobiles, tablets and laptops horrifies me. For one thing they may well have their attention diverted by incoming messages. Further these devices are rarely silent.

For writing as part of exercises I prefer them to write by hand. It is easier for them to share a piece of paper than a mobile or tablet.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
One possible risk with digital note-taking is that it becomes more about recording things than participating in the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.