The child was penalized/punished for her untidy handwriting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

loviii

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Greetings!

An example from thefreedictionary.com:
(1) The child was penalized for her untidy handwriting.

My variant:
(2) The child was punished for her untidy handwriting.

What's the difference between (1) & (2)?

Thanks!

Updated: Also, according to the rules of this forum, I must say that I've asked this question on another forum as well (the link if you want to take a look). Note from mod: The "Updated" section was added by the OP after several responses had already been added.

Last edited:
The meaning is different.

With penalized, it sounds as if the child lost some points or something, as if there's some kind of competition.

If your aim is to practice using penalize, you ought to find much clearer examples.

Last edited:
Also answered here.

Loviii, please don't post the same question to more than one forum. If you post to one forum and are then unsatisfied with the answers you get, you can then post on a different forum but you must include a link to the answers you have already received and explain why you need more responses.

You asked your question on WordReference on Friday at 4.48pm and you had received several responses by 8.30pm. What prompted you to ask us exactly the same question on Saturday at 2.26pm? It is a waste of our valuable time to answer questions that have already been dealt with on another forum.

Loviii, please don't post the same question to more than one forum. If you post to one forum and are then unsatisfied with the answers you get, you can then post on a different forum but you must include a link to the answers you have already received and explain why you need more responses.
Ok...

You asked your question on WordReference on Friday at 4.48pm and you had received several responses by 8.30pm. What prompted you to ask us exactly the same question on Saturday at 2.26pm? It is a waste of our valuable time to answer questions that have already been dealt with on another forum.
You have saddened me 😟.

• At first I asked here yesterday at 5:26 PM.
  • At 6:22 PM, I got one answer (post #2):
The meaning is different.​
With penalized, it sounds as if the child lost some points or something, as if there's some kind of competition.​
If your aim is to practice using penalize, you ought to find much clearer examples.​
where there was no explanation about the example with “punished” at all, and there was only an explanation about “penalized”.​
  • Then (in almost an hour and a half) I asked on WordReference at 6:48 PM.

What would have happened if I hadn't asked on WordReference? – I wouldn’t have had an answer for “punished” and I would have thought that the example with “penalized” is most likely about a competition, although as I understood from WordReference, usual school homework is also no less likely than a competition.

Last edited:
You're being much too impatient. It can be several days before you get a variety of responses on any forum where people are volunteering their time and expertise. The fact remains that, in post #1 on this forum, you should have provided a link to your thread on WR.

There might be various opinions on this one. I see being punished as more severe treatment than bring penalized. For example, a penalty might be a fine, but a punishment might be jail time.

At 6:22 PM, I got one answer (post #2):

where there was no explanation about the example with “punished” at all, and there was only an explanation about “penalized”.​

What would have happened if I hadn't asked on WordReference? – I wouldn’t have had an answer for “punished” and I would have thought that the example with “penalized” is most likely about a competition, although as I understood from WordReference, usual school homework is also no less likely than a competition.

Well, I'm sorry I didn't explain what the word punished means. I assumed that you knew already, given the way you asked your question.

In future, remember that the more information you give us about what you already understand, and what exactly is puzzling you, the more direct and useful our answers can be.

You're being much too impatient. It can be several days before you get a variety of responses on any forum where people are volunteering their time and expertise. The fact remains that, in post #1 on this forum, you should have provided a link to your thread on WR.
You are writing in such a manner as if I intentionally did not insert the link. But I was not obliged to know that there is a rule according to which I need to insert links to other forums, where I am also asking this question, and as I understood from your last post, such links need to be inserted, even if the question was asked on another forum later than on this forum (as in my case).

It seems to me that to try lecturing/rebuking someone, instead of just explaining the rule, is not something that a normal person should do.

Update:
I consider your behavior unworthy, period.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back