Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Hi,

I'm trying to understand where does the meaning of 'beef with somebody' come from?

Does it get its origins from a situation where two or more animals fighting on the prey while they eat it?

Thanks

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Google it. Nobody seems to know where this AmE expression come from.

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Google it. Nobody seems to know where this AmE expression come from.
I'll tell you a secret, if nobody knows then neither does Google. Seriously people, why does everybody keep saying 'google it'?
Do I have to create a signature saying that I google before I ask the question?

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
I'm inclined to think it came from the bull-headedness of said steer -- or perhaps a side-rib sore to avenge.

This actually makes perfect sense to me. I pictured two men acting like bulls (or rather bovine, meaning that the argument isn't close to a fight) to each other.
Also, thanks for the links. Although the discussions don't give an answer to the question, I found them pretty interesting.
Now that I connected that meaning with a short movie picture, it will stick better into my mind.

Thanks, lotus888. Appreciate your answer very much since this question has been on my mind for a very long time.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'll tell you a secret, if nobody knows then neither does Google. Seriously people, why does everybody keep saying 'google it'?
Do I have to create a signature saying that I google before I ask the question?

In all honesty, yes. It is a good idea to start your post with "OK, I've Googled this and looked everywhere I can think of and I still can't find out the definition of XXX. Can anyone here help me?"

However, the chances are that if the answer isn't available anywhere on Google, then no-one here will have the magic answer.

It is still very helpful for us to know what research you have done yourself before you ask us.

Status
Not open for further replies.