[Idiom] have quill, will travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

luisaganho

Member Type
Other
I am a translator and I cannot understand fully what does the expression "have quill, will travel" mean. Can you help me?
Thank you,
Luisa

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am a translator and I cannot understand fully what does the expression "have quill, will travel" mean. Can you help me?
Thank you,
Luisa

It's a rather unusual quote. I have heard similar phrases, such as:

Have passport, will travel.
Have suitcase, will travel.

In both examples, it means "I have a .... and am willing to travel". Obviously, both a passport and a suitcase would be quite helpful when travelling!

I can only assume that the speaker of your phrase is perhaps a travel writer, so it would be very useful for him to have a pen (quill pens being the old pens made of a feather dipped in ink to write). It's my best guess.

If you could give us more context, that would be good.

luisaganho

Member Type
Other
Thank you both for your help! Now I understand although it will be difficult to find an equivalent expression ;)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There used to be a television program called, "Have Gun, Will Travel". The hero of the program was very good with shooting a pistol. He would travel throughout the American west (19th Century) and get rid of criminals. He was usually hired by local towns which had bad people living in them...

Your source pre-dates mine by a good few years. I heard (on a BBC radio program about language, which I believed at the time) that the expression 'Have X, will travel' was a standard format in a US publication that gave details of jobbing entertainers: 'Have tux. will travel'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.