How long does it take the torch to travel from the beginning to end?

v0031

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Czech Republic
Olympic Games organizers in France presented the 2024 Olympic torch that will light the Summer Games in the country a year from now. In the Olympic torch tradition, many people carry the torch in turn from Greece to the current location of the Games. After it has traveled thousands of kilometers, the torch will light the Olympic cauldron at the Opening Ceremony of the next Olympic Games.
French designer Mathieu Lehanneur created the torch, which is 70 centimeters long. Lehanneur said its shape is inspired by the famous Seine river, which flows through Paris. He said the torch is equal from top to bottom and all around the middle, which stands for equality between athletes. The twisting shape of the torch represents peace.
The torch was made with lightweight steel. Its lower half copies the movement of the Seine, along which the opening ceremony will take place for over 500,000 viewers.
Lehanneur said he wants the torch to represent the kind of event that Paris 2024 hopes to be. "I wanted to move away from the torch appearing as an object of conquest," Lehanneur said.
He also told reporters that designing the torch was much more challenging than he thought it would be. "The magic is not the torch itself, but the flame," Lehanneur said.
The torch will begin burning in Olympia, Greece, where the first Olympics were held, on April 16. The Games will begin in Paris on July 26, 2024.
On May 8, the torch will arrive in the Mediterranean city of Marseille. It will then pass through several important places, which include Strasbourg, the Pantheon in Paris, the Mont Saint-Michel and some French territories.
Tony Estanguet, the Paris 2024 chief, said the torch is "very, very beautiful." He also said it is "...very pure. It's perfectly balanced in the hand."

I find the passage fun and I write some questions for my students. Among them is the following.
(3) How long does it take the torch to travel from the beginning to end?
A. 23
B. 70
C. 102
D. 103

C is my intended answer.

Is my question good?

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
The answer is 102 days, assuming the students can count the number of days between 16 April and 26 July, something not all native speakers will be able to do.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are you supposed to be giving them math problems?

(It's easy to figure out when you take into account the number of days in each month and account for the ten "extra" days.)

v0031

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Czech Republic
Are you supposed to be giving them math problems?

(It's easy to figure out when you take into account the number of days in each month and account for the ten "extra" days.)
In China, English reading worksheet often has math simple questions.