Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello! Could you help me with the following idioms?

In the book called "English Vocabulary in use" by Murphy I found two synonymical phrases "to leave somebody cold" and "not to do anything for somebody" in the same example sentence which mean to not make you feel interested or excited.
In addition to this, I heard one of the phrases in the TV show "Friends" in the dialog like this:
- Why don't you go out with him?
- I don't know. He doesn't do anything for me.

But later I read on a forum that "to leave somebody cold" has more of a negative meaning referring to people:
"It usually means there's something actively disagreeable or even cruel about the way a person behaves". So I got confused about it and my question is if I can use these two idioms interchangeably and if I can say: "He just leaves me cold" in the dialog above.

Thank you!

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
- I don't know. He doesn't do anything for me.
This means "He doesn't interest me" or "He doesn't excite me". The speaker's saying she doesn't find the man attractive.

if I can say: "He just leaves me cold" in the dialog above.
This means something like "He doesn't excite any emotion in me" and could be used in a variety of situations, not just a dating one. The one the Friends character used was specific to the situation.

"It usually means there's something actively disagreeable or even cruel about the way a person behaves".
"He leaves me cold" doesn't usually mean "He's disagreeable or cruel". Where did you come across this?

Orlanda

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
This means "He doesn't interest me" or "He doesn't excite me". The speaker's saying she doesn't find the man attractive.

This means something like "He doesn't excite any emotion in me" and could be used in a variety of situations, not just a dating one. The one the Friends character used was specific to the situation.

"He leaves me cold" doesn't usually mean "He's disagreeable or cruel". Where did you come across this?
Thank you for your help! But I’m still a little bit confused and unsure about the possibility and correctness of using “he leaves me cold” if I want to say that a person doesn’t excite me or doesn’t interest me.
I see from what you said that it can be used in a variety of situations, but would it be a mistake to use it in that dialog if I add some details to the context or it would be completely incorrect?

About your last question: another native english speaker told me that when I asked. That is why I got confused.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can refer to a cruel or emotionless person as 'cold', but we don't say that they leave us or make us cold. We just call them cold.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
but would it be a mistake to use it in that dialog if I add some details to the context or it would be completely incorrect?
It's possible in the right context.
A: Why don't you go out with him? Doesn't he interest you at all?
B: No. He leaves me cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.