He was very tired because he'd been working hard all day yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michaelll

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Is it ungrammatical to say this?
  • When I met him this morning, he was very tired because he'd been working hard all day yesterday.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Why would you think that it might be?

Michaelll

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Why would you think that it might be?
I thought it might be because 'yesterday' didn't last until this morning 'when I met him'.
  • When I met him this morning, he was very tired because he'd been working hard all day yesterday. (there was a big gap (of about 10 hours) between the time when I met him and when he finished working the day before)
For example,
  • Y: Is he in the room? (It's 9:00 in the morning)
    X: Yes, but he's very tired because he's been working hard all day yesterday.
If the present perfect continuous doesn't work here, why would the past perfect continuous work in the first example sentence?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
The original is all right.

Yes, but he's very tired because he's been working hard all day yesterday.
This doesn't sound right. I'd expect "... because he was working hard all day yesterday".

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
If the present perfect continuous doesn't work here, why would the past perfect continuous work in the first example sentence?
They're different sentences. I'm afraid you're trying to identify a pattern where there isn't one.

Michaelll

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
This doesn't sound right. I'd expect "... because he was working hard all day yesterday".
Why not "... because he worked hard all day yesterday"? I don't see any other actions that happened when/while 'he was working'. Does 'all day' require the past continuous?

What do you think about "Yes, but he's very tired because he had been working hard all day yesterday" - the past perfect continuous?

They're different sentences. I'm afraid you're trying to identify a pattern where there isn't one.
Of course they're different. The first one is about past (he was tired), the second one is about present (he is tired), and in both sentences he worked hard the previous day.
  1. When I met him this morning (today), he was very tired because he'd been working hard all day yesterday (the day before).
  2. He's very tired because he's been working hard all day yesterday (the day before).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
  1. When I met him this morning (today), he was very tired because he'd been working hard all day yesterday (the day before). ✅
  2. He's very tired because he's been working hard all day yesterday (the day before). ❌
1. The past perfect continuous, "he'd been working", is correct there because the working came before the being tired.
2. The present perfect continuous, "he's been working", is incorrect. It should be "he was working" or "he worked".

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Why not "... because he worked hard all day yesterday"?
That doesn't sound as natural.

What do you think about "Yes, but he's very tired because he had been working hard all day yesterday" - the past perfect continuous?
I consider it wrong.

Of course they're different. The first one is about past (he was tired), the second one is about present (he is tired), and in both sentences he worked hard the previous day.
Since they're different, you can't compare them. Maybe that sounds illogical to you but that's how it is.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
  1. He's very tired because he's been working hard all day yesterday (the day before).
That is incorrect because 'He's been working' relates the action to the present time. You can't use it with 'yesterday', a past-time adverb.

Michaelll

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
That is incorrect because 'He's been working' relates the action to the present time. You can't use it with 'yesterday', a past-time adverb.
Yes, I know, and that's why I thought the past perfect continuous shouldn't be correct in the first sentence (because - as I mistakenly thought - there was a big gap (of about 10 hours) between the time when I met him and when he finished working the day before).

"He's very tired because he's been working hard all week." - what do you think of this one? Can we say this one, for example, on Sunday, in a situation when "he" worked hard on every day of the week except Saturday and Sunday?

In other words, he worked hard from Monday until Friday. He didn't work at all on Saturday, and we say this sentence on Sunday (he isn't working today, too). Would it work?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Yes, it works in that situation. You're speaking from the perspective that the week is not yet complete. Many people consider a week as Monday to Sunday because Monday is the first working day.

Michaelll

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
1. The past perfect continuous, "he'd been working", is correct there because the working came before the being tired.
2. The present perfect continuous, "he's been working", is incorrect. It should be "he was working" or "he worked".
In 2 the working also came before the being tired.
  1. When I met him this morning (today), he was very tired because he'd been working hard all day yesterday (the day before). ✅
  2. He's very tired because he has / had been working hard all day yesterday (the day before). ❌/❌
  3. He's very tired because he was working / worked hard all day yesterday (the day before). ✅

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
When I met him this morning, he was very tired because he'd been working hard all day yesterday.

Before I answer, please tell me where you saw this sentence.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore

Michaelll

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Before I answer, please tell me where you saw this sentence.
It's mine. I made it up.

That's why you need a form of the past tense. It was in the past.
Well, as I've been told the past perfect continuous wouldn't work there. Even if it's "the past tense".

Michaelll

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
That explains everything.
Still, some people said it was all right #2, #4, #7. Do you think my sentence is incorrect grammatically since "that explains everything" to you?
  • When I met him this morning, he was very tired because he'd been working hard all day yesterday.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Michaelll We could discuss this endlessly. (It seems like it's gone on forever already.)

It seems like maybe the grammar is okay, but I wouldn't be able to compose a dialogue in which I would use that sentence, and I have written a thousand of them.

Can you devise a sentence in your native language which the grammar seems to be okay, but you've never heard anybody say it?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's mine. I made it up.

Ah. As I thought. Please don't do that. Yes, you're right that the word yesterday is very distracting, which is why the sentence is poor.
The problem, which I think you've identified, is that the word yesterday has present-time reference (that means it relates to the moment of speaking) whereas the verb phrase he'd been working hard has past-time reference (since it refers to a point before a point in past time.) This mismatch is distracting, so regardless of whether you think the sentence is 'grammatical' or not, it's certainly badly expressed.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The problem, which I think you've identified, is that the word yesterday has present-time reference (that means it relates to the moment of speaking)
I don't see that at all. Yesterday has past-time reference - the day before today. It does not relate to the moment of speaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.