Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
He was walking in the corridor/hallway.

That's a sentence I made up for the sake of this thread. I thought corridor and hallway were synonyms. In my manuscript, I always used the word corridor (I did so while describing a school and a mansion in my story). However, I just came across THIS article, which says I should always use hallway, except in case of hospitals. Do you agree? Should I replace corridor with hallway in all the sentences I used it in my manuscript?

British English-speakers don't use hallway to mean corridor, and unless they're aware of the American usage, they'll not know that's what you mean.

The word corridor will be understood by both BE and AE speakers.

British English-speakers don't use hallway to mean corridor, and unless they're aware of the American usage, they'll not know that's what you mean.
Wait, don't corridor and hallway mean the same thing? On the Longman website, it says they are synonyms (definition #2 HERE). On the other hand, THIS article says I should use hallway. Now I'm confused.

Wait, don't corridor and hallway mean the same thing.
No,

We Brits don't have corridors in our homes, We many have hallways or passages and, upstairs, landings.

No,

We Brits don't have corridors in our homes, We many have hallways or passages and, upstairs, landings.
So, do I use hallway with homes/mansions and corridors with public buildings?

You can use anything you like, but if you want British English speakers to know you mean corridors, use corridors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back