Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece

One time, long ago, I saw somewhere that the adverb usually goes after the first auxilliary verb. A while ago, on a thread I made on this forum, you told me that whoever said that did not know what they were talking about and the adverb goes after all auxilliary verbs and before the main verb. Now, on the thread above, an English speaking person (Post #2) says that it goes after the first auxilliary. I'm feeling dizzy! o_O

Edit: The thread I made here, where you told me it goes after all auxilliaries, was 'must have accidentally dropped vs must accidentally have dropped'.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The thread I made here, where you told me it goes after all auxilliaries, was 'must have accidentally dropped vs must accidentally have dropped'.
Could you give us a link to that thread, please.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
Could you give us a link to that thread, please.
I hope you appreciate the hell I went through to find this link. 😅

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I hope you appreciate the hell I went through to find this link. 😅

I don't appreciate wasting my time. I found that thread with very little problem, but carried on searching because you told us the thread was titled 'must have accidentally dropped vs must accidentally have dropped'. You also said you told me that whoever said that did not know what they were talking about and the adverb goes after all auxiliary verbs and before the main verb. I can't find those words in that thread.

Perhaps it might be better if you simply asked us one simple question, without worrying about your memory of what you read long ago or expecting us to flick from this page, to a WordRef page and to an earlier thread in this forum.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I say, as I said in the other post, that it depends on the kind of adverb. Adverbs that carry a sense of modality (e.g. probably) operate on the first auxiliary (the modal verb), and so typically go directly after the first auxiliary. If the adverb is modifying the main verb (e.g. adverbs of manner), then it typically goes proximate to the main verb.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Auxiliary only has one l. You're probably feeling dizzy because you are combining suggestions and trying to turn them into rules, and ignoring features of the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.