Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
(Here is a made-up scenario by me for purpose of mastering English).

We, King of England, cognizant of the suffering our people have experienced during this pandemic, and in order to revive our economy, here declare the reduction of taxation...

Is the expression "here declare the reduction of taxation" formal in English? Well, editing of the entire passage well be apreciated (to make it really sound spoken by King of England).

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You mean hereby decree a reduction in tax rates. But I think your time will be better spent on writing set in more realistic contexts. For one thing, even if England had a king (or a queen), he (or she) wouldn't have the power to decree anything.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
The queen of the UK is the queen of England.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The queen of the UK is the queen of England.
I keep seeing Quora.com posts comparing such an appellation to describing the chief executive of the United States as (God forbid) "the President of Ohio". But perhaps it's not a good idea for me to take them seriously. :)

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Does Ohio not have a president then?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
(Here is a [STRIKE]made-up[/STRIKE] scenario [STRIKE]by me[/STRIKE] I made up for the purpose of mastering English.)

We, King of England, cognisant of the suffering our people have experienced during this pandemic, and in order to revive our economy, here declare [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a reduction in the rate of taxation ...

Is the expression "here declare [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a reduction in the rate of taxation" formal in English? [STRIKE]Well,[/STRIKE] Editing of the entire passage [STRIKE]well[/STRIKE] would be appreciated (to make it really sound as if it could be spoken by the king of England).

See above.

I'm not sure that writing something that sounds as if it has come from the 17th century is going to help you master English! I'm also not sure what you're trying to achieve. If you really are trying to sound as if it was spoken several centuries ago, it mostly works (although I imagine some of the vocabulary wasn't in use then). However, if it's meant to be set now, there are two basic errors:
1) There is no king of England.
2) The monarch doesn't announce changes in taxation. The government does that.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
But isn't the president of the United States president of all the 50 states?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, the states are sovereign entities in their own right. He's the chief executive of the federal government, not of the individual states. The relationship is very vaguely similar to that between the President of the European Commission and the EU's remaining member states, though the US federal government has much more power over domestic matters than the European Commission has.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

No. He's the president of all the citizens in the states, but he is not the president of any state.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
He is the president of the United States.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He is the president of the United States.
I never noticed the potentially confusing nature of the title. He's president of the country called "the United States of America", not president of the states that are united. :) The same reading applies to the Queen, who isn't the monarch of two places called "Great Britain" and "Northern Ireland" but of the kingdom as a whole.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I never noticed the potentially confusing nature of the title. He's president of the country called "the United States of America", not president of the states that are united. :) The same reading applies to the Queen, who isn't the monarch of two places called "Great Britain" and "Northern Ireland" but of the kingdom as a whole.

But she is the Queen of the United Kingdom (and other Commonwealth countries). The United Kingdom is Great Britain and Northern Ireland so she is, by definition, the queen of both Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
See above.

I'm not sure that writing something that sounds as if it has come from the 17th century is going to help you master English! I'm also not sure what you're trying to achieve. If you really are trying to sound as if it was spoken several centuries ago, it mostly works (although I imagine some of the vocabulary wasn't in use then). However, if it's meant to be set now, there are two basic errors:
1) There is no king of England.
2) The monarch doesn't announce changes in taxation. The government does that.

The scenario in the OP is fictional and is supposed to happen at 6527 (that is in future, more than 4 thousand years from now) when somehow this kingdom appear.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The scenario in the OP is fictional and is supposed to happen at 6527 (that is in future, more than 4 thousand years from now) when somehow this kingdom appear.

Well, there's some information that would have been really helpful in post #1!

Status
Not open for further replies.