Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
If I want to say that someone is loved by all without exception, can I write the sentence in the following way?

1) He is loved by all high and low.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
That is not how the idiom high and low is used.

E.g. I have been looking for you high and low (everywhere) since yesterday.

Barman

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
That is not how the idiom high and low is used.

E.g. I have been looking for you high and low (everywhere) since yesterday.

I know that usage. But I want to know whether the idiom has any other meaning such as 'by all without exception', i.e., 'by all irrespective of age' other than 'everywhere'?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I know that usage. But I want to know whether the idiom has any other meaning such as 'by all without exception', i.e., 'by all irrespective of age' other than 'everywhere'?

If it had, it would have been stated in the dictionary.

Barman

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
If it had, it would have been stated in the dictionary.

Hi, tedmc! , in the link 'https: //dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...h/high-and-low' which was provided by teechar, in the section 'more meanings of high and low', there was an another meaning of that idiom, i.e., 'All'.Therefore, how you can say that "If it had, it would have been stated in the dictionary"!

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"High and low" often has connotations of socio-economic class. If that is what you intended how about "...by all, regardless of their station in life." If that's not what you wanted, perhaps "... regardless of their political views" or just "... by one and all without exception."

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi, tedmc! , in the link 'https: //dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...h/high-and-low' which was provided by teechar, in the section 'more meanings of high and low', there was an another meaning of that idiom, i.e., 'All'.Therefore, how you can say that "If it had, it would have been stated in the dictionary"!

Which other meaning? Show me.
My statement still holds.

Barman

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Which other meaning? Show me.
My statement still holds.

Hi, tedmc!

If you had looked through the link provided by teechar, you would have found your answer on yourself. I request you to kindly look up the another meaning of that idiom in the Cambridge dictionary which was provided earlier in the link. I suggest you not to make a hasty remark by not examining any link thoroughly. Even I'm satisfied with the explanation given by respected probus.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi, tedmc!

If you had looked through the link provided by teechar, you would have found your answer on yourself. I request you to kindly look up the another meaning of that idiom in the Cambridge dictionary which was provided earlier in the link. I suggest you not to make a hasty remark by not examining any link thoroughly. Even I'm satisfied with the explanation given by respected probus.

I could only find one meaning in the Cambridge link; that is why I asked you.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think the usage for social class is rather dated- I'd expect to find it in a historical novel rather than a newspaper.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, tedmc!

It was not a hasty remark. It was a correct, concise remark.

As Probus says, the way you used the phrase is not natural or useful. That's why Probus suggested rephrasing it.

If you mean "rich and poor," put it that way. If that's not what you mean, just say "everyone."

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think the usage for social class is rather dated- I'd expect to find it in a historical novel rather than a newspaper.
Absolutely.

Status
Not open for further replies.