Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Are the following sentences correct?

mountain.jpg
1. Mountain A is shorter. Mountain B is taller.
2. Mountain A is higher than Mountain B. Mountain B is lower than mountain A.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
One cloud can be higher than another, but I don't know if that applies to mountains.

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I really can't explain why but, as a native BrE speaker, while I am comfortable with both "taller" and "higher", I would never use "shorter" in this context. It just feels totally wrong.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
PeterCW, you have already given excellent answers to a number of threads and your input is very welcome. However, please read this extract from the forum's Posting Guidelines:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly in your post.

Thank you

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
PeterCW, you have already given excellent answers to a number of threads and your input is very welcome. However, please read this extract from the forum's Posting Guidelines:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly in your post.

Thank you

Coincidentally, I have just added "Not a teacher" to all PeterCW's posts in the thread about the school desk.

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Sorry, I had tried to create a signature with that phrase in but, for some reason, I do not appear to be allowed one.

Not a teacher

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry, I had tried to create a signature with that phrase in but, for some reason, I do not appear to be allowed one.
The signature feature becomes available when you've made ten posts. Just two to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.