[Grammar] His car has broken down. He needs to ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

stepka241

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Hello all!

I'm a learner of English and currently study a new topic - Perfect Infinitives (PI). I have watched some videos on Youtube and read couple of articles on the topic. As I grasped it, the main idea, or the structure of the rule is that there's a list of cases when PI can be or must be used. The most common cases are: 1) after adjectives ('glad to have known'), 2) after certain verbs (like 'claim'), 3) PI as a subject, 4) PI as an alternative for Future Perfect.
While doing an online test few days ago, I encountered a question, which I failed to answer correctly. Here it is:

His car has broken down. He needs to ... .
A) repair it
B) have it repaired
C) have repaired it

My answer was A, while according to the author of the question, the correct one is B. However I don't see the verb 'need' in the list of verbs, that usually demand PI.

Could you please explain, why should we use Perfect Infinitive in this particular case instead of infinitive (option A)? Could you also provide me with an example of a context, as much similar to the given one as possible, where option A would suit better?

Thanking you beforehand for your comments and responses!

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I see nothing wrong with A but they mean different things. Answer A means that he will repair the car himself while B means that he will get a mechanic to carry it out. The only reason for favouring answer B is that most people don't repair their own cars these days.

Last edited by a moderator:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hello all!
Hello and welcome to the forum. :)
- Do not capitalize "perfect infinitive".

The most common cases are: 1) after adjectives ('glad to have known'),
Yes, but adjectives need not be followed by perfect infinitives.

2) after certain verbs (like 'claim'),
Again, that's possible, but "claim" is not always followed by a perfect infinitive.

3) PI as a subject,
That's possible.

4) PI as an alternative for Future Perfect.
What do you mean by that?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
This is very easy to answer, stepka241: In answer B, have it repaired is not a perfect infinitive.

It's an example of the pattern have something done. I'm sure if you do a bit of research on this pattern, you'll quickly find useful information about its form, meaning, and use.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Stepka241, please note that I have changed your thread title. Titles should be unique and relevant to the thread, and should include some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you are asking us about.

stepka241

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Re: Question about Perfect Infinitive

Hello and welcome to the forum. :)
- Do not capitalize "perfect infinitive".

Yes, but adjectives need not be followed by perfect infinitives.

Again, that's possible, but "claim" is not always followed by a perfect infinitive.

That's possible.

What do you mean by that?

Hello teechar, thank you!

Regarding point n.4. Having mentioned an alternative, I meant the following: 'to + perfect infinitive' can have the same meaning as the slightly rewritten sentence with Future Perfect tense:
I hope to have it accomplished by Friday morning. = I hope that I will have accomplished it by Friday morning.

stepka241

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Stepka241, please note that I have changed your thread title. Titles should be unique and relevant to the thread, and should include some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you are asking us about.

Hi, got it, thank you for the information!

Status
Not open for further replies.