Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
John is talking to his mother on the phone. His mother's favorite vase is lying/lies on the floor. He tells her that his dogs have knocked it over and asks her if she wants him to pick it up or if she will pick it up herself when she gets home.

Which form should be used in this case?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Use the present continuous there.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Alternatively, you could just say "His mother's favourite vase is on the floor". Also, you've already said that he's talking to his mother so you can start sentence two with "Her", or make a longer sentence with "whose". Here's what I mean:

John is talking to his mother on the phone. Her favourite vase is [lying] on the floor.
John is on the phone to his mother, whose favourite vase is [lying] on the floor.

One thing's not clear to me - is the vase broken or has it just been knocked onto the floor and is still intact?

(Off-topic: If I were John's mother, I'd be appalled that he thought it could wait until I got home. Of course John should pick it up (or pick up the pieces) himself. He shouldn't even have to ask her!

EngLearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
One thing's not clear to me - is the vase broken or has it just been knocked onto the floor and is still intact?
It's still intact.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's still intact.
I might be inclined to specify "lying on its side on the floor" then. Whilst "lying on the floor" does technically mean that it's flat (not upright), some people might simply take it to refer to its general location, rather than position.
Here's another question then - did the vase have flowers and water in it before the dog knocked it onto the floor?

EngLearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Here's another question then - did the vase have flowers and water in it before the dog knocked it onto the floor?
No.

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
Then I don't really know why John is mentioning the incident at all.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What a waste of a phone call! A vase has been accidentally knocked over and sustained no damage whatsoever. John should just put it back wherever it was before the dog knocked it off/knocked it over and get on with his life! He's not going to get far as an independent being if he has to phone his mum and ask her if he should pick something up (that his dogs knocked over) or, worse, suggest that he just leave it there for her to pick up later. What a mummy's boy!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
How old is John?

EngLearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Let's say he's ten years old.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Then emsr2d2’s post #8 is spot-on.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the UK, if he's ten years old and home alone, his mum could face going to prison. It's illegal to leave a child under twelve home alone during the day, and illegal to leave a child under sixteen home alone overnight. I think a dog knocking over a vase is the least of John's problems.
Anyway, I stand by what I said in post #8. If there's no damage to it, there's no need for a phone call. He should just pick it up and put it back where it was.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
He probably knocked it off the table himself and blamed the dog.