Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hello all,

Could someone explain me that what do "How Aced the comeback" and "how to right a listing ship" mean?

These phrases are from a news, Cnn. "How Aced the Comeback" is title of the news.

"How to right a listing ship" is in paragraph;

"So it looks like President Obama got the message. In his second debate with Mitt Romney, the president delivered a comeback performance that will stand as a model for future debaters of how to right a listing ship. Obama was as good in Hempstead as he was bad in Denver. In fact, this may have been the finest debate of his career and just at the moment when he needed it most."

Thanks a lot.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hello all,

Could someone explain me that what do "How Aced the comeback" and "how to right a listing ship" mean?

These phrases are from a news, Cnn. "How Aced the Comeback" is title of the news.

"How to right a listing ship" is in paragraph;

"So it looks like President Obama got the message. In his second debate with Mitt Romney, the president delivered a comeback performance that will stand as a model for future debaters of how to right a listing ship. Obama was as good in Hempstead as he was bad in Denver. In fact, this may have been the finest debate of his career and just at the moment when he needed it most."

Thanks a lot.

Hi,

For "right the listing ship", see here. It means that his campaign for re-election (his "ship") was sinking because the first debate was won by Mr. Romney, and the advantage Mr. Obama had was vanishing. So this second debate made Mr. Obama's ship regain the neutral, safe position, so he put it right (meaning 'OK').

I'm not sure about the headline, though.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Are you sure the headline was "How Aced the comeback"?

mutena24

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Thanks for your kindly reply charliedeut.

I'm not sure about the headline, though.

Are you sure the headline was "How Aced the comeback"?

I can't put any link in forum because my count of post is less than 10.

I made a mistake which I didn't put "Obama" into the headline. So I mean it would be "How Obama aced the comeback".

I am so sorry for not adding it.

Thanks again.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland