[Vocabulary] how can I siplmly know and recite alot of vocabulary and idioms as well ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOoOD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hello , my name 's AbdElrahman , u can call me Zod as a nickname , I've being trying to catch up with English as my second language for 2 or 2 and half years now , I watch dozens of movies , I play several video games , I record new vocabulary , but something I'm pretty sure it's missing , I just like having memorizing issues such as amnesia , Cant remember damn thing (sorry if it's an appropriate expression) and when that happens , I feel frustrated and quite upset . is there anybody can hook me up , you know , how I can know the basic vocabulary and the secondary ones .
and if u can give me any tips so I can be fluent in English specially in the slang American .
and how can I get a Native so he can gently practice English with me orally .;-)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello , my name 's AbdElrahman , u can call me Zod as a nickname , I've being trying to catch up with English as my second language for 2 or 2 and half years now , I watch dozens of movies , I play several video games , I record new vocabulary , but something I'm pretty sure it's missing , I just like having memorizing issues such as amnesia , Cant remember damn thing (sorry if it's an appropriate expression) and when that happens , I feel frustrated and quite upset . is there anybody can hook me up , you know , how I can know the basic vocabulary and the secondary ones .
and if u can give me any tips so I can be fluent in English specially in the slang American .
and how can I get a Native so he can gently practice English with me orally .;-)

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

(1) Welcome to usingenglish.com.

(2) You have come to the right place. Whenever you have a question about

any aspect of English, there is a particular forum here to help you.

(3) If you post a question about grammar in the "Ask a Teacher" forum,

excellent teachers will give you an accurate answer.

(4) We non-teachers are currently allowed to give our opinions, but

we must announce at the beginning of our post these words:

NOT A TEACHER. If you do not want a non-teacher's opinion, do not

read that post and go on to the next post.

P.S. Here in the United States, some people are still not comfortable with

that word "d - - -." About 50 years ago, I lost my temper and told a group of

people to "shut your d - - - mouths." The boss warned me never to do that

again. In 2011, the word "d - - -" is not considered so horrible, but I think that

it is still not acceptable in polite society. Sometimes people use the word

"darn" as a substitute. Recently I went to a store and discovered that I was one

day late to buy something at a lower price. I was very disappointed and said to the

clerk: "Darn it!" (I am so glad that I did not say "D - - - it!")

ZOoOD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
P.S. Here in the United States, some people are still not comfortable with

that word "d - - -." About 50 years ago, I lost my temper and told a group of

people to "shut your d - - - mouths." The boss warned me never to do that

again. In 2011, the word "d - - -" is not considered so horrible, but I think that

it is still not acceptable in polite society. Sometimes people use the word

"darn" as a substitute. Recently I went to a store and discovered that I was one

day late to buy something at a lower price. I was very disappointed and said to the

clerk: "Darn it!" (I am so glad that I did not say "D - - - it!")
Actually since I've been watching a lot of Hollywood stuff I've got a lot of unsuitable words such as (Damn) and (F**k) and a lot a lot of them , and I'm trying to get rid of them , apparently I'm having harsh time with this , but anyway thanks for helping me out with this , but u got any proper or adequately (whatever the differences) solution about my other issues :)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Actually since I've been watching a lot of Hollywood stuff I've got a lot of unsuitable words such as (Damn) and (F**k) and a lot a lot of them , and I'm trying to get rid of them , apparently I'm having harsh time with this , but anyway thanks for helping me out with this , but u got any proper or adequately (whatever the differences) solution about my other issues :)

(1) Thank you for your kind note.

(2) I am sure that as soon as more people wake up in different parts of the world

(It's 6:23 a.m. here in California), they will give you some good advice.

(3) I have noticed one thing: the teachers here get rather cross if posters

use "u" for "you," and use commas for periods. If possible, you may wish to

work on this matter.

Best of luck!

ZOoOD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
use "u" for "you," and use commas for periods. If possible, you may wish to

work on this matter.

Best of luck!
could u specific more further ?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

(1) In your latest post, you asked that I be more specific.

(2) Okey-doke! I shall suggest a few changes in your first post.

Hello, my name is ______. [I do not know how to spell your name. You have

put all the words together. Is there a space between some letters?] You can call

me Zod as a nickname. I have been trying to improve my English as a second

language for two or two and a half years. I watch dozens of movies. I play several

video games. I copy down new vocabulary. But I'm pretty sure that something

is missing. It's almost like amnesia: I cannot remember anything.

(3) Well, I am sure that you have gotten the idea.

(4) Hopefully, someone will tell you how to get someone with whom you can

chat. I am an old man who knows absolutely nothing about those things!

ZOoOD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
chat. I am an old man who knows absolutely nothing about those things!
At least u're native , but anyway thanks for ur help really appreciate ur kindness ;)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
At least u're native , but anyway thanks for ur help really appreciate ur kindness ;)

(1) Please remember that the teachers here ask that you spell the words

"you're" and "your."

Best of luck to you.

ZOoOD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
"you're" and "your."

Best of luck to you.
yeah thanks and I'm using u instead of you just like an abbreviation nothing more , but thanks for your time , Glad to have this conversation with you :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
yeah thanks and I'm using u instead of you just like an abbreviation nothing more
You have been asked not to - twice, One of our forum guidleines is:

This is a forum for discussing the English language. There is no need to write formally, but this is not a chatroom, so please write normal English, with punctuation, capital letters and words written in full; use you not u, I not i, great not gr8, etc. Don't worry about making mistakes, which is normal when learning a language, but do please try to make your English easy to read.

ZOoOD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I'm going to try , but seriously I used to write it like that , not a matter of making my English more easier to read , Anyway thanks , but till now I want someone to help me with this I'd really appreciate it :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm personally not a fan of people learning/reciting/memorising lists of vocabulary or idioms. Idioms are not essential when speaking English - certainly you will hear them and it's nice to understand them, but until you are very confident and comfortable speaking the language, I wouldn't be too excited about using them yourself.

For the vocabulary side of things, my best advice is to read, read, read. Newspapers, magazines, internet sites, books, posts on this forum. Listen to English radio - there are loads of stations that can be accessed over the internet. Have an English radio station playing all the time in the background whenever possible. Watch films and TV shows in English (BrE or AmE). Don't stress about understanding every single word - the more you listen, the more you will understand.

If you find one particular word that you really want to know the definition of, look it up in a dictionary but then learn a whole sentence using that word. That will help you with context as well as definition. It's a lot easier to remember a whole sentence, which also tells a little story in your head, than lists of words and their definitions.

A word of warning though - when you read, make sure the content was written by a native speaker. We spend a lot of time on this thread answering queries from learners who have taken a sentence from the internet and asked why it does not seem to fit the grammar rules they have learnt. It frequently transpires that the sentence was not written by a native speaker so it's not surprising that it's not correct!

Also - we don't speak how we write. Or write how we speak. When you talk to a native speaker, you'll hear slang and local dialect vocabulary, you'll hear a lot of contractions and things like "I'm gonna go and get a bite to eat. You want something?" We would write (especially on this forum) "I'm going to go and buy something to eat. Do you want anything?"

So welcome to the forums. You will learn a lot. Post regularly and be careful to read all the replies. As you have already been advised, the use of what we call "textspeak" or "internetspeak" is not welcomed on the forum ("you" not "u", "Thanks" not "thx" etc).

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Concentrating on numbers of words learned, oversimplifies the issue of vocabulary- it's not just a matter of knowing a word, but also of knowing how and when to use the word, and which words, etc, to use with it. Someone who knows 10,000 words doesn't necessarily speak twice as well as someone who knows 5,000.

ZOoOD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I'm personally not a fan of people learning/reciting/memorising lists of vocabulary or idioms. Idioms are not essential when speaking English - certainly you will hear them and it's nice to understand them, but until you are very confident and comfortable speaking the language, I wouldn't be too excited about using them yourself.

For the vocabulary side of things, my best advice is to read, read, read. Newspapers, magazines, internet sites, books, posts on this forum. Listen to English radio - there are loads of stations that can be accessed over the internet. Have an English radio station playing all the time in the background whenever possible. Watch films and TV shows in English (BrE or AmE). Don't stress about understanding every single word - the more you listen, the more you will understand.

If you find one particular word that you really want to know the definition of, look it up in a dictionary but then learn a whole sentence using that word. That will help you with context as well as definition. It's a lot easier to remember a whole sentence, which also tells a little story in your head, than lists of words and their definitions.

A word of warning though - when you read, make sure the content was written by a native speaker. We spend a lot of time on this thread answering queries from learners who have taken a sentence from the internet and asked why it does not seem to fit the grammar rules they have learnt. It frequently transpires that the sentence was not written by a native speaker so it's not surprising that it's not correct!

Also - we don't speak how we write. Or write how we speak. When you talk to a native speaker, you'll hear slang and local dialect vocabulary, you'll hear a lot of contractions and things like "I'm gonna go and get a bite to eat. You want something?" We would write (especially on this forum) "I'm going to go and buy something to eat. Do you want anything?"

So welcome to the forums. You will learn a lot. Post regularly and be careful to read all the replies. As you have already been advised, the use of what we call "textspeak" or "internetspeak" is not welcomed on the forum ("you" not "u", "Thanks" not "thx" etc).
thank you for those pieces of advice , but I don't feel confident all the time , and I don't like reciting lists clumps of words and vocabulary like school , I just watch a movie and get the odd words to me or a Video game .and willingly I 'll try to be more formal here .
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Concentrating on numbers of words learned, oversimplifies the issue of vocabulary- it's not just a matter of knowing a word, but also of knowing how and when to use the word, and which words, etc, to use with it. Someone who knows 10,000 words doesn't necessarily speak twice as well as someone who knows 5,000
I really want to get the full usage of the word and utterance.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
thank you so much , I really appreciate that . there's another thing , sometimes I listen to a slang American accent , I feel I can understanding the words and keep up with the whole meaning and sometimes I listen and can't get any word and I feel so upset , I tried to add English subtitles to the movies , since then I feel zero confidence to listen to an American slang without subtitle :S

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
As a middle-aged British English speaker, I wouldn't understand all of young Americans' slang- or British either. That's the nature of slang; it's about groups and times- if a parent tries to use teenage slang, teenagers find them embarrassing. ;-)

ZOoOD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
As a middle-aged British English speaker, I wouldn't understand all of young Americans' slang- or British either. That's the nature of slang; it's about groups and times- if a parent tries to use teenage slang, teenagers find them embarrassing. ;-)
got it , but I mean at least I can communicate with them , understand and speak with them fluently , but you know , I got some confidence with those words thanks alot :)

Status
Not open for further replies.