How long did he have abc insurance(for)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Insurance representative: Tim's claim denied because he had abc insurance in 2020.

Tom: How long did he have abc insurance(for)?

Insurance representative: He had it from 2020 and all the way through 2021.

Please check my sentences. Do we need to use "for" after "how long" in second se?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
IR: Tim's claim was denied because he had ABC insurance in 2020.
Tom: How long did he have ABC insurance?
IR: Two years-- 2020 and 2021.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Insurance representative: Tim's claim was denied because he had abc ABC insurance in 2020.
Tom: How long did he have abc ABC insurance space here (for)?
Insurance representative: He had it from From [month] 2020 and all the way through 2021.

Please check my sentences. Do we need to use "for" after "how long" in the second sentence?
Note my corrections above. I have several questions/comments:

1. Is "ABC" supposed to represent a company name? If so, it should say "he was covered by ABC Insurance" (note the capitalisation of "Insurance"). If "ABC" replaces a type of insurance (car/van/travel), you should use the relevant type of insurance.

2. Why is an insurance rep discussing Tim's confidential insurance claim with some random member of the public called Tom? If he's discussing it with, for example, his boss, make that clear in a dialogue.

3. Are you sure you're still reading good English every single day to help with your studies? Your level seems to have slipped back - you're omitting articles, messing up capitalisation and failing to use correct spacing around punctuation. You're also clearly not double-checking your posts before you submit them. If you'd read this one through properly, you'd have noticed that most of your final word was missing.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@tufguy Usually a person will answer the question that was asked, not one that wasn't asked. Also, I would expect to hear (for example)' "Tom had homeowner's insurance with Aetna Life and Casualty."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
This makes more sense to me:

Tim's claim was denied because he didn't have ABC insurance in 2022.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Note my corrections above. I have several questions/comments:

1. Is "ABC" supposed to represent a company name? If so, it should say "he was covered by ABC Insurance" (note the capitalisation of "Insurance"). If "ABC" replaces a type of insurance (car/van/travel), you should use the relevant type of insurance.

2. Why is an insurance rep discussing Tim's confidential insurance claim with some random member of the public called Tom? If he's discussing it with, for example, his boss, make that clear in a dialogue.

3. Are you sure you're still reading good English every single day to help with your studies? Your level seems to have slipped back - you're omitting articles, messing up capitalisation and failing to use correct spacing around punctuation. You're also clearly not double-checking your posts before you submit them. If you'd read this one through properly, you'd have noticed that most of your final word was missing.
1) ABC represents a company name.

2) An authorised person can discuss claims on behalf of the patient.

3) Sorry for my silly mistakes.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1) ABC represents a company name.
2) An authorised person can discuss claims on behalf of the patient.
3) Sorry for my silly mistakes.
1. In that case, I suggest you stop using "ABC insurance" ("Insurance" should be capitalised because it's almost certainly part of the name of the company) and instead write "[name of company]".
2. Please give us some context, in that case. For example, you could have started with "An insurance representative is talking to Tom, who is Tim's next-of-kin".
3. Don't apologise. Just be more careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.