[General] How long do you need to wait for the second shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
A friend in the US told me he got his first shot of the Covid vaccine then I asked him a question, I said "How long do you need to wait for the second shot?"

Is my question natural?

Can you improve your sentences?
I think it's a good idea to use a conjunction.
:)

A friend in the US told me he got his first shot of the Covid vaccine then I asked him a question, I said "How long do you need to wait for the second shot?"

The punctuation mark in red above is wrong. You have created a comma splice. What would you put there instead?

The problem starts before the word "then".

The punctuation mark in red above is wrong. You have created a comma splice. What would you put there instead?

A friend in the US told me he got his first shot of the Covid vaccine then I asked him a question. I said "How long do you need to wait for the second shot?"

Is the above right?

You need a a comma after "vaccine", followed a conjunction, "and", before "then", as tzfujimino said, to join two independent clauses. Then put a comma after "then".

Last edited:
A friend in the US told me he got his first shot of the Covid vaccine. [STRIKE]then[/STRIKE] I asked him a question. I said "How long do you need to wait for the second shot?"

Is the above right?
The question in quotation marks is. Your introductory text is okay with my corrections.

You need ... a conjunction, "and", before "then", as tzfujimino said ...

Yes, that's the conjunction I was thinking of as one of the ways to fix the problem.

A friend in the US told me he got his first shot of the Covid vaccine. Then I asked him a question. I said, "How long do you need to wait for the second shot?"

Is the above right?
It is now.

You could also just say, "Then I asked him, "How long . . . ?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back