Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Which option do you think is the most appropriate? Is there any better way of making a request in such a situation?
This question has been derived from a pragmatics test developed by Liu (2007).

You are now discussing your assignment with your teacher. Your teacher speaks very fast. You do not follow what he is saying, so you want to ask your teacher to say it again.

1. I think you are right. But if you can explain it more clearly in some details, I may understand it better.
  2. Sorry, teacher, can you repeat it?
  3. Excuse me. May I have your pardon?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
3 is completely incorrect. You could use 1 or 2 but, as with so many of your other posts like this, there is a much simpler way to express it: "Sorry. You're talking too fast. Can you say that again more slowly?"

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
[h=2]How to ask a teacher to repeat sth?[/h]This is not a correct question. You are an English teacher, and you've been told repeatedly not to do it. Do you not understand why it is wrong? If you don't, we can help you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not in the habit of defending the use of "How to" at the start of a question but this post is one of six consecutive threads that the OP made in the space of about 10 minutes on Thursday. In my reply to the first one, I pointed out that it's grammatically incorrect and the same point has been made in responses to the other threads in the same set. I'm not sure if OPs can edit their own thread titles but those six posts were already made before the OP was made aware of the error. Hopefully, there will be no more posts containing the same error.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Also, I think a thread title written declaratively like How to ask a teacher to repeat something is fine. It's the question mark that makes it wrong.

tulipflower

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
How to ask a teacher to repeat sth?

This is not a correct question. You are an English teacher, and you've been told repeatedly not to do it. Do you not understand why it is wrong? If you don't, we can help you.

I'm really sorry. I found I did a mistake just after writing all threads. It wasn't possible for me to correct the titles. Really sorry to bother you and all nice English teachers and native speakers who answered my questions patiently :-(. I really appreciate your comments on my questions. As I am not a native speaker, your answers are of great help to me.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm really sorry. I found I [STRIKE]did[/STRIKE] had made a mistake only after writing all the threads. It wasn't possible for me to correct the titles. I'm really sorry to have bothered you and all the nice English teachers who answered my questions patiently. :-(

Thanks for acknowledging this. We look forward to your future titles being correctly worded. Ideally, your posts will also be correctly worded; as an English teacher, you need to be aware that learners on the forum will assume that everything you write is correct.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
(I beg your) pardon.

tulipflower

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
3 is completely incorrect. You could use 1 or 2 but, as with so many of your other posts like this, there is a much simpler way to express it: "Sorry. You're talking too fast. Can you say that again more slowly?"
Why is option 3 incorrect? Is it unnatural?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The only time anyone might say "May I have your pardon?" would be if a condemned person wanted to ask a monarch to pardon him - to remove the death sentence from him/her or simply to overturn a previous "guilty" verdict.

If you're simply indicating that you didn't hear what someone said and you want to use the word "pardon", use "Pardon?" or "I beg your pardon?"

Status
Not open for further replies.