How to call a person who wants money without a reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

albercik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi,
I need yours help. How to call a person who wants money without a reason?

In Polish we use a word "roszczeniowy". I tried to translate that word in Google Translate, but I am not sure it was translated correctly as "a claim":
https://translate.google.pl/#view=home&op=translate&sl=pl&tl=en&text=roszczeniowy

Can I say that somebody is claim??

The context:
One year ago I was in Kenya in Africa. Locals treated white tourists as walking ATMs, they wanted money for a single photo with them or expected tips in a hotel for everything.
How can I called that person in English if I want to describe someone my feeling?

I would be glad if you could correct also my other mistakes in that post. ;-)

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, the translation won't work.

The best English equivalent I can think of at the moment would be 'freeloader', although it's not exclusive to your scenario, and doesn't quite work for people who've actually provided a service expecting a tip.

There's also 'panhandler', but again that's for someone who's begging, so it doesn't quite fit your scenario either.

I suppose 'greedy' might work, but it's not a specific name, just an adjective.

albercik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you Skrej
- I checked all your words, but they don't exacly mean the same what a Polish word "roszczeniowy". :) But it is all right, I knew in English you have some words which are hard to translate into Polish, and now I know in Polish we also have some words which are hard to translate into English. ;-)
In these situation the best method is to describe something. :cool:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I would be glad if you could correct also my other mistakes in that post. ;-)

Let's start with your title. It's incorrect. In English we say "What do you call ..." not "How to call ...".

Last edited:

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Not a teacher
------

Hello, albercik!

The word claim does not work at all. You're looking for a word that describes people, and claim does not do that.

As a fellow Pole and someone who's spent a good portion of their life speaking the English language, I can say that I've never encountered a word that would fully encompass what rozszczeniowy means. It's a very specific words used in a narrow range of situations, with many negative connotations, quite beautiful a word if I may add.

That being said, I'd say the closest to it would be demanding. I can't think of a context in which you couldn't translate rozszczeniowy to demanding, as far as meaning is concerned, but the connotations and the general perception of the word may differ widely.

Status
Not open for further replies.