[General] How to communicate with native speaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garry4395

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Like the title, when I was chatting with some native speaker
I always have to check the meaning of the word they use or check my own word
Mostly are some abbreviation, like ASAP or BRB
And the word they use may have some different meaning more than I know
Is there any way to make this problem fixed?
cause the use of word on internet chat actually changed very fast

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]Like the title,[/STRIKE] When I [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] am chatting online with [STRIKE]some[/STRIKE] native speakers, I always have to check the meaning of some of the words they use or check my own words.
Mostly, they are [STRIKE]some[/STRIKE] abbreviations, like ASAP or BRB, and the words they use may have [STRIKE]some different[/STRIKE] more meanings [STRIKE]more[/STRIKE] than I know.
Is there any way to [STRIKE]make[/STRIKE] fix this problem? [STRIKE]fixed[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]cause[/STRIKE] The use of [STRIKE]word[/STRIKE] language [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] in internet chat actually [STRIKE]changed[/STRIKE] changes very fast.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note my corrections above. You are right that "textspeak" changes very fast. Some of it is incomprehensible to many older native speakers. I can only recommend that the first time you come across an unfamiliar word or abbreviation, you look it up, make a note of it, its definition and a sentence in which it was used, and then review your notes regularly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The problem with text/chatspeak is that you're never quite sure if it's just some new acronym or term you're unfamilar with, or the other person simply can't type/spell. I've also known people to make up their own abbreviations that nobody else in the world would reasonably be expected to understand, know, or even deduce.

If I can't figure it out from context, then I just assume it's not really critical anyway. If it seems like it might actually be important, I'll just ask them - usually by repeating the term followed by a question mark. The more useful ones tend to stick around longer term, and I've little use for staying chat fleek.

A: brb
Me: brb?
A (5 minutes later): be right back, you dumb*ss

Status
Not open for further replies.