Interested in Language
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Hi guys.
I need help with "Prepositions" and "Conjunctions". I've been thining about this, I think Prepositions and Conjunctions are similar. Prepositions connects words just like a Conjunction and Conjunctions relates words just like a Preposition. I think we can categorize Conjunctions as Prepositions or vice versa, unlike Adjectives and Adverbs which are designed to modify different parts of speech. So, how does it differ from one another?
Any response would be greatly appreciated.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi guys.
I need help with "Prepositions" and "Conjunctions". I've been thining about this, I think Prepositions and Conjunctions are similar. Prepositions connects words just like a Conjunction and Conjunctions relates words just like a Preposition. I think we can categorize Conjunctions as Prepositions or vice versa, unlike Adjectives and Adverbs which are designed to modify different parts of speech. So, how does it differ from one another?

A preposition joins a noun to a sentence. A conjunction has a variety of functions but one is to join an entire clause to a sentence. They are not as similar as you seem to believe.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi guys.

Try Googling "prepositon" and "conjunction" and see what you can learn.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Post here specific sentences in which you are not sure whether a word is functioning as a preposition or a conjunction.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:-? I'm not sure I understand the question. What's the difference between a potato and a bicycle pump? :)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.