Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I want to improve my vocabulary, yet have no idea where to start. Like what is the common vocabulary I should know? Shall I start reading or watching the everyday news?

Try reading in the areas of language that interest you. Also, don't think that knowing lots of words means that you know a language- it's more about what you can do with the words you know.

thank you, your opinion is helping a lot. Can you introduce some novels for me? I think I can try to read some novels first.

How about some short stories first? "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson is a good start. (It’s available online.) If you have a difficult time reading it, then try something easier. For example, children’s books.

If you still want to read novels, a good start is movies. A lot of movies are adaptations from novels, so identify one movie you like, and then try to find the book the movie is based on. If the book is hard, try another one.

-----
Not a teacher.

Last edited by a moderator:
what is the common vocabulary I should know?

You can find online word lists. These are lists of words that are recommended to know for each level.

For example, the link below will take you to a list of words you should learn if you are an A2-level learner:

https://www.cambridgeenglish.org/images/22105-ket-vocabulary-list.pdf

I agree with the members above that reading books is very good for your vocabulary. I recommend you find a graded reader which suits your level. Graded readers are books where the vocabulary is right for your level. Here's a link to the Oxford University Press website, where you can purchase graded readers available in paperback or as downloadable ebooks.

https://elt.oup.com/learning_resources/subjects/gradedreading/?cc=us&selLanguage=en&mode=hub

And just to prove I don't work for OUP, here's a link to Macmillan:

http://www.macmillanenglish.com/courses/macmillan-readers/

Last edited:
I appreciate your help. Thank you. I will try to read this book first. (*゚∀゚*)

Wow, I can't thank you enough. It's really helpful.

Research suggests that the average person needs about 15 exposures to a new word to effectively remember it. That's for a native speaker, but language learners typically require more than twice that many exposures. Those with an extensive vocabulary in the target language will require less. Different studies have suggested slightly different numbers, but they all seem to be roughly the same. Of course those are averages, as well - some need more, some need less.

However, it's not just repetition alone that matters - variety in exposure is just as important as the number. Variety in expose types is the most beneficial.

Different types of exposures would be reading the word, hearing the word, writing the word, using it in original sentences (both spoken and written), etc. Even within the same basic type of exposure (i.e. reading), variety is better. Reading the word in a sentence is slightly different than reading off a flash card or study list, etc.

That being said, and research aside - I almost exclusively learn vocabulary by reading, at least for the initial introduction to a word.

The key thing when it comes to improving vocabulary is to follow a "gradual" approach - do not overload yourself with thinking that you can do it very fast -

Read a small passage - learn the new words you do not know in there - memorise them and keep practising - then move to a slightly larger passage etc etc...

A good source would be a newspaper or a news website - because you can find different sizes of news items in there and also from easy to complex ones...

Just follow a gradual approach but keep at it regularly and your vocabulary will grow by the day

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back