[Vocabulary] How to improve my vocabulary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandy20

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
When I do language tests I usually have the same problem - wrong word choosing. I tried to read books in English, magazines and newspapers. But every time I see the part like "read the text below and think of the word which best fits each space" I get upset, because 90% of my answers are incorrect. For example, "Choose the right word: She has such a great singing voice. I know she’ll be a _____________ success. Answers: A.big. B.high. C.large. D.popular". I am confused what to choose. I doubt between A and C, but maybe B? Basically, I haven't met such a word combination before, so I don't know what to choose. And the problem of most of such questions is that I haven't met such word combinations and phrases. So, please, would you recommend me the book that can teach me how to choose the right word combination? What can you recommend me to do? Learning grammar books is not an option, because grammar tests I usually pass successfully, but word choosing part confuses me much.

Sandy20

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Maybe there are a textbook about such collocations? On internet I found only "The Oxford Collocations Dictionary". Could you please recommend more books, textbooks or tutorials about word collocation and combination?

Philippa25

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
India
Whenever you're reading, make a habit of looking up words you're not familiar with.. even if you have seen it before, it doesn't hurt. I hear doing this while reading academic work is really beneficial, but that's your call.

Status
Not open for further replies.