I’m sorry but I would like you to completely fill out the application form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tulipflower

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
You are a manager in an office and are hiring to fill a position that has just opened up. Yesterday, many people filled out application forms for the job. The form is very long and takes most people many hours to complete. You are getting ready to interview an applicant, but cannot find his application form in the files. You want the applicant to resubmit the application. The applicant is now here for the interview. a) I’m sorry but I would like you to completely fill out the application form. b) I’m very sorry, but we seem to have misplaced your application. After the interview would mind filling out another one? c) I’m sorry I cannot find your application form. You’ll have to fill it out again

Which one is more natural in this situation 'a' or 'b'?

Of the three choices, b is the most natural - if the missing word "you" is inserted. I'd expect to receive more apologies in such a situation though.

A sounds as though the person did not complete it the first time.
C is abrupt.

I'd question the process of an application that takes hours to complete!

(Slightly off-topic)

If I'd applied for a job and at the interview I was told they'd lost my application form, I would probably seriously reconsider my desire to work for them at all!

A sounds as though the person did not complete it the first time.
C is abrupt.

I'd question the process of an application that takes hours to complete!

Applications that take hours typically include a preliminary online test. I know some hospital positions require you to fill out your basic info, upload resume and cover letter (which typically takes about 40 -45 minutes) but you also need to complete a test on your specialty knowledge (which can take up to 1 1/2 hours). Those applications won't be considered complete without the test. With that said, it is very rare that an employer could possibly lose your application (since nowadays virtually everything is done online.) In the rare case of an employer losing my application after I spent hours to complete it, I would most certainly give them a rain check.

The situation specifically referred to a FORM that took hours to complete.

The situation specifically referred to a FORM that took hours to complete.

In the US, that would be ridiculous but I see tulipflower is from Iran. Maybe in Iran, they have very long application forms. I'm not sure. Though that wasn't the question tulipflower asked. I hope he/she got a satisfactory answer.

Having been told that B is the natural choice and what is wrong with the other two, tulipflower no doubt has achieved the objective in mind when starting the thread. I think you need not worry about it.

Thank you all for the valuable comments. I 've learned a lot. :up:

In this situation, I think it wants to emphasize the severity of the offense and to see how the manager would apologize to an applicant in such a situation. You are right the situation is not very natural.
You know the test goes back to 1995. I think I may need to make some modifications to the test citing the name of the author.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back