Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Great Britain
Can anyone explain to me the exact meaning of the above? For example: "I am curious to meet your brother".

What does "curious" mean in this context? I have a feeling that I know what it means as a complete sentence but I am not entirely sure what the word "curious" entails here.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It means 'There's something more I'd like to learn about your brother, and meeting him would be an opportunity to satisfy this curiosity'.

Is that what you thought it means?

What does "curious" mean in this context? I have a feeling that I know what it means as a complete sentence but I am not entirely sure what the word "curious" entails here.

It doesn't 'entail' anything. If you're curious, you want to know or understand more about something.

Madness1

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Great Britain
It doesn't 'entail' anything. If you're curious, you want to know or understand more about something.
Sure. But "curious to meet" with its basic meaning - the one you underlined - doesn't make sense.

It means 'There's something more I'd like to learn about your brother, and meeting him would be an opportunity to satisfy this curiosity'.

Is that what you thought it means?

Yes, that seems to be exactly what I thought.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
But "curious to meet" with its basic meaning - the one you underlined - doesn't make sense.

I don't quite follow what you mean. What exactly doesn't make sense?

Madness1

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Great Britain
I don't quite follow what you mean. What exactly doesn't make sense?
To me "curious to meet" carries some additional sense. Like a sense of eagerness or excitement and a desire to learn or understand more about a person.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
To me "curious to meet" carries some additional sense. Like a sense of eagerness or excitement.

I agree that the word 'curious' carries the sense that the person is drawn towards the object of curiosity, if that's what you mean. Curiosity is a motivating force.