Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I will get married next month and I'm making an announcement to invite my friends, relative and my staff. Is the following sentence correct and natural?

I announce I will get married next month.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@output Your “announcement” needs more personalization. Your sample sentence is as personal as saying “I announce I am getting a root canal next month.” :confused:
At a minimum, you could say something like “I am proud/pleased to announce that I am getting married on (date).”

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Your version should definitely not be used. The use of the present perfect like this suggests a habitual action, as if you regularly announce you'll be getting married next month!

How are you making this announcement? If you're putting it out by email or letter, I'd start with something like "I'm delighted to announce that I will be marrying [name of fiancé/fiancée] on [date] at [time]. You're invited to celebrate with us at [venue]. RSVP." (If "RSVP" isn't familiar to the people you're inviting, end with something like "Please let us know as soon as possible if you will be attending".