I buy a new laptop with the spec is fitted to me.

output

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I have broken my computer. I need to buy a new one. I don't know which ones is suitable for me. Then, I found my friend for help me and give me suggestion.

I wrote a sentence below, if you have free time, please check it correct or not? thank you so much.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I have broken my computer. I need to buy a new one. I don't know which ones is are suitable for me. Then, I found my friend for help me and gave me some suggestions.

I wrote have written a sentence below. If you have free time, please check it correct or not? Thank you so much.

How about "I want to/have bought a new laptop according to/to suit my specs/requirements"?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How about "I want to buy/have bought a new laptop according to/to suit my specs/requirements"?
"According to" doesn't work in that sentence.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have broken my computer and/so I need to buy a new one. I don't know which ones is are suitable for me. Then, I found One of my friends for helped me and give me suggestion by suggesting a suitable one.

I wrote a the sentence below. If you have free time, please check it. correct or not? Thank you so much.

I buy a new laptop with the spec is fitted to me. ❌
Try "I'm going to buy a new laptop [that is] built to my personal specifications".

output

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Try "I'm going to buy a new laptop [that is] built to my personal specifications".

Above-mentioned sentence is wrong. Because this sentence is including two verbs "buy" and "is fitted". It doesn't make any sense.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Above-mentioned sentence is wrong. Because this sentence is including two verbs "buy" and "is fitted". It doesn't make any sense.
I don't understand what you're saying. I already told you that "I buy a new laptop with the spec is fitted to me" was wrong. Are you asking us if the reason it's wrong is that it has two verbs? If that's the question, the answer is no, that's not the problem. I already told you how to rewrite it.

output

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I don't understand what you're saying. I already told you that "I buy a new laptop with the spec is fitted to me" was wrong. Are you asking us if the reason it's wrong is that it has two verbs? If that's the question, the answer is no, that's not the problem. I already told you how to rewrite it.
Yes. What about I re-write it? Could you please check it again? Thank you so much.

I'm thinking about buying a new laptop to replace the old one.

I can't use the word "specifications" to re-write it. I need to think about it. Once it's okay, may I post here again? Thank you so much.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes. What about If I rewrite it, could you please check it again? Thank you so much.

I'm thinking about buying a new laptop to replace the old one. Is this your suggested rewrite? It's grammatically correct.

At the moment, I can't work out how to use the word "specifications" to rewrite it. I need to think about it. Once it's okay, may I post here again? Thank you so much.
If you didn't like my suggestion in post #4, you're free to try rewriting it yourself and you can post it here.

output

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
If you didn't like my suggestion in post #4, you're free to try rewriting it yourself and you can post it here.
I wrote two sentences about the word "specifications" and how to use it. Can you please check if it's correct and natural? Thank you so much.

1. My friends recommended me a good for value specifications of the laptop for me. It’s reasonable price and fitted my requirements.

2. My friends gave me suggestions about how to get the best specifications of the laptop. I appreciated it and found a better laptop finally.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I would write:

1. My friends recommended me a laptop based on (good) value-for-money specifications. It's reasonably priced and fits/suits my requirements.

2. My friends gave me suggestions for the best specifications for my laptop. I appreciated them and found a better laptop finally.

I think there is no such thing as "best specifications" for a laptop as requirements of individual users vary. Specifications are usually customized to suit individual requirements.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think we need to get to the bottom of something - are you looking for a laptop to buy and use straight out of the box with a spec that fits your needs, or are you looking to get a custom-built one?

Don Karnage

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Not a teacher

I'm not sure if it is appropriate to write in someone else's topic. My apologies if I violate any forum rules.

What about the following sentances?

Instead of "I buy a new laptop with the spec is fitted to me."
We rewrite "I bought a new laptop that fits me well (or fits my requirements)."

Instead of "My friends recommended me a good for value specifications of the laptop for me. It’s reasonable price and fitted my requirements"
We rewrite "My friends recommended a laptop to me with good value specifications. It fitted my requirements and had a reasonable price."

Instead of "My friends gave me suggestions about how to get the best specifications of the laptop. I appreciated it and found a better laptop finally."
We rewrite "My friends gave me some suggestions what are the most important specifications of laptops. Being grateful for their help I finally found the best laptop for me." Not sure about "being grateful". Probably, we have to put it in the past tense, but how to do it?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not a teacher
I added this. Please add it yourself when you try to help other learners. Once you've made ten public posts, you'll be able to make this your signature line.
I'm not sure if it is appropriate to write in respond to someone else's topic. My apologies if I'm violating any forum rules.
It's fine as long as you put "Not a teacher" at the start.
What about the following sentences?
It might be an idea to install an English spellchecker on your browser. It will pick up basic mistakes like that one.
Instead of "I buy a new laptop with the spec is fitted to me no full stop here", could we rewrite "I bought a new laptop that fits me well (or fits my requirements)"?
Your suggestions are broadly grammatical but don't mean the same as the original.

When a full sentence is inside quotation marks, don't include the final full stop if the surrounding sentence continues after the quotation marks.
Instead of "My friends recommended me a good for value specifications of the laptop for me. It’s reasonable price and fitted my requirements", could we rewrite "My friends recommended a laptop to me with good value specifications. It fitted my requirements and had a reasonable price"?
"... with good value specifications" doesn't work in either version. It's not grammatical.
Instead of "My friends gave me suggestions about how to get the best specifications of the laptop. I appreciated it and found a better laptop finally no full stop here", could we rewrite "My friends gave me some suggestions regarding what are the most important specifications of laptops are. Being grateful for Thanks to their help, I finally found the best laptop for me"?
When a full sentence is inside quotation marks, don't include the final full stop if the surrounding sentence continues after the quotation marks.
I'm not sure about "being grateful". Probably, we have to put it It should probably be in the past tense, but how to can I do it that?
You're right not to be sure. It doesn't work. As you can see, we just say "Thanks to ..." and that doesn't require a tense.

I've made corrections and comments above. This thread is getting a bit complicated with all the different versions of various sentences. We try to keep things short and sweet here. I'm going to write the simplest version of post #1 that I can:

Recently, my laptop broke so I had to buy a new one. After getting some recommendations from friends, I found a good value laptop that fitted my needs perfectly.

output

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I think we need to get to the bottom of something - are you looking for a laptop to buy and use straight out of the box with a spec that fits your needs, or are you looking to get a custom-built one?
I'm looking an new laptop to buy.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm looking for an a new laptop to buy.
We know that. That wasn't my question. I asked if you want one purpose-built to your own specifications or you want to buy one that's simply ready-to-use.