[General] I don't know if pullman porter is the right phrase here....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Last night Suzie used a phrase (She said it in Chinese) during our club meeting (we meet every week and talk to each other in English), then I translated what she'd said as "pullman porter". I once read this phrase in Obama's speech and I thought it might be the phrase Suzie needed. However, I was wrong. What she needed is "porter". She was describing a group of people here use their back or sometimes a stick to help people carry things home and then get paid. I think "porter" is the right phrase. But at that time, I used "pullman porter" which I wasn't sure. I said "I don't know if pullman porter is the right phrase here. I'll look it up later" as an explanation and to ensure her that I'll confirm this later.

Is my italic sentence natural?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I associate porters with hotels - they usually help carry your luggage to your room.

The people you're describing sound like a kind of city version of a sherpa - have I got the right idea?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I associate porters with hotels - they usually help carry your luggage to your room.

The people you're describing sound like a kind of city version of a sherpa - have I got the right idea?

Much appreciated, emsr2d2.

The people I'm describing could only possibly be seen in my city, I believe. There's a history behind them. Many years ago, when my city was still developing, many people (not well-educated due to many different reasons, poor, for example) chose to work like this. They usually used a wooden stick as a pole (sorry, I don't know the right term here, either) on their shoulder to carry goods for people who employed them. But as time goes by, this kind of people disappear because they can find better job. Now, there are still some working like this. They now use their hands to carry things for employers, also, they still use wooden and thick sticks because this helps them carry heavier goods.

I can see such people outside supermarkets, they are usually paid 10-20 yuan for each job, which mainly depends on the weight of the good.

I looked up the word "sherpa" and I still don't know what it means. I'm sorry. But I read on WR that people use "porter" (BrE, bellman) to refer to "people who carry things for others".

And by the way, is my italic sentence natural in the OP? :)

Edited:

In this thread, Matching Mole describing "porter" as:

A porter carries things, often luggage, and is not restricted to a particular kind of establishment (porters work in hotels, restaurants, hospitals, etc). (However, in the UK "bellmen" are called porters; "bellman" and the like are not used, so this conversation would not occur.)

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We used to refer to such people as coolies, a word used only in the context of China. It's probably offensive now, but that's the only word I can think of that really fits.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
We used to refer to such people as coolies, a word used only in the context of China. It's probably offensive now, but that's the only word I can think of that really fits.

Thanks a lot for your input, GS.

I was about to say "coolie" but I forgot to say it. This word is directly translated from its Chinese version of pronunciation.

I think it's a neutral word and sometimes people describe themselves as coolies in a joking manner. Again, context matters.

When I was looking up "coolie" I saw the word "laborer". I think this word is much better because it sounds much more modern.

Please also help me with my italic sentence in the OP, dear members!

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When I was looking up "coolie" I saw the word "laborer". I think this word is much better because it sounds much more modern.
It's too vague for the context. Anyone who does any kind of manual labor is a laborer.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
To answer your question, Silver: Yes, your sentences are natural English.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
They are, but in writing, 'Pullman' should be capitalised.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The only mistake in your italisized sentence is that Pullman should be capitalized.

I don't know the context, but I assume you both know that Pullman porters work in train sleeper cars. They're called Pullman cars because they were originally manufactured by George Pullman. (Maybe they still are.)

To learn more about Pullman porters, Google A. Philip Randolf.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Regrettably, perhaps, coolie is also used in Indian English.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In American English, hotel emplyees who handle luggage (baggage in AmE) are called bellboys rather than porters.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In American English, hotel emplyees who handle luggage (baggage in AmE) are called bellboys rather than porters.
Yes, or bellhops.

When they hear the desk clerk's bell, they hop.

Status
Not open for further replies.