I don't know whether Tom turned left or right. If he bore right after he reached ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I am starting this thread because this long thread is confusing me.

Assuming I don't know whether Tom turned left or right and whether he arrived or got lost, can I say the following?

1. 'If he bore left after he reached the fork, he got lost.'
2. 'If he bore right after he reached the fork, he would have arrived.'

In this post, emsr2d2 told me to use 'If he had borne', but then it denotes that I actually know whether he turned left or not and whether he arrived or not when I actually don't.

Last edited:
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Assuming I don't know whether Tom turned left or right and whether he arrived or got lost, can I say the following?
1. 'If he bore left after he reached the fork, he got lost.'
2. 'If he bore right after he reached the fork, he would have arrived.'

Not a teacher

No, you can say only the first one because it constitutes one possible event while there are two.
If he bore left [after he reached the fork], he got lost AND If he bore right [after he reached the fork], he did not get lost.
The second sentence, being a third conditional, implies one possible fact that he neither bore right nor arrived.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The second sentence is not intended to be a third conditional because whether he turned right and arrived is unknown.

Is it correct to use that sentence? If not, how can I say it correctly?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The 'would have' construction expresses a degree of certainty.
Do you mean he would have certainly arrived if he bore right at that time or the speaker is certain that he turned right?

Last edited:
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Your second sentence is possible (though I'd use 'turned' rather than 'bore'. The 'would have' construction expresses a degree of certainty.

Not a teacher

If you see the sentence from this perspective, then I agree with you. But there is also another prospective I see this sentence from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Third conditional sentences are about a past time irrealis situation. We do not use the past simple for past-time irrealis situations
I know this for sure and that's what increasing doubt inside me because I also agree with you about the wrongness of using the past simple for past-time irrealis situations. But I have some examples found on the internet and I really want to know your logical explanation for using the past simple in the if-clause.
Visit my original post and tell me your view point.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

May I suggest that you cast your request as a request, not as a demand? You're more likely to get the result you want.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
May I suggest that you cast your request as a request, not as a demand? You're more likely to get the result you want.
I have no control over anyone and we all know that so I am really doing what you have said and I do request politely but my English doesn't really helping me to express my gratitude and when I tried to thank you in a post, It was removed!

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I have no control over anyone and we all know that so I am really doing what you have said and I do request politely but my English doesn't really helping me to express my gratitude and when I tried to thank you in a post, It was removed!

Clicking "Thank" is usually thanks enough. I was trying to guide you towards adding a "please" to the request you made in the first quote above.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Clicking "Thank" is usually thanks enough. I was trying to guide you towards adding a "please" to the request you made in the first quote above.
Sorry for not adding "please" to the request but I assure you I didn't mean disrespect or impoliteness or anything that you mentioned.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry for not adding "please" to the request but I assure you I didn't mean disrespect or impoliteness or anything that you mentioned.

I mentioned neither disrespect nor impoliteness. I merely encouraged you to cast the request as a request, not a demand. Prefacing it with "please" is an easy way to do so.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As you all know, conditionals are not my areas of expertise.

If you know from past experience that 100% of the people who turn left get lost and 100% of the people who turn right arrive safely,
AND
You do not know whether he turned right or left...

... wouldn't you say "If he turned left, he got lost and if turned right, he arrived"?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"If he turned left, he got lost and if turned right, he arrived"
If I have understood correctly, 'turned' is not a past subjunctive, which refers to the present/future, because the main clauses refer to the past. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I think both Piscean and I have already done so.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In short -- yes.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I think both Piscean and I have already done so.
I meant post #134 in the original thread.
There is another sentence that may make you change your mind.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'Will + perfect tense' does not refer to the future in 'If he has turned right, he will have arrived'. Is that correct?

The teacher in this post used 'will have gone' with 'a year ago'.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.