Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I need some help to transcribe these sentences. They are taken from a 1945 US movie. No subtitles available.
The file lasts only 40 seconds.
Thanks a lot in advance.

Attachments

• Strange sentences The Unseen v2b.mp3
    470.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
Hi Gamboler,

This is my best effort. I'm not surprised you had difficulty as some lines are said very quickly.

One of our American members may be able to fill in the gaps, or say where I might have got something wrong.

1. "Yeah, you'd better phone on and tell her I'll drop round about nine thirty to put her to bed.".

2. "[Be]'sides, this other pal-ace, be it more modern and easy on the servants?".

3. "I can run faster than anybody in the world, and I can run faster than you can!", "No you can't!".

4. "There is too Mr [Nesby?]! [???] something I know here!".

5. "That they make up a setting for whatever play story they happen to be acting out at the moment".

6. "I did too hear [me?] come out of the house and chase it!", [Slap] "Shut up!".

7. "Even though it does bring back that last night".

8. "Get out of the way you little tattle-tale (i.e. tell-tale)"
"You said I was a good boy. I told you I would keep the old woman"['s watch, presumably, as mentioned in the plot synopsis]
"You shut your big mouth!".

9. "It's almost as if he pledged himself. The next morning I locked up the house and said that my husband had gone on ahead".

10. "[Canned it? perhaps a sanitised version of "darn it"?] I wish it weren't, I wish it even more than you do."

If I had seen, or could see the film I could probably get the rest. Unfortunately little sound clips without the pictures means you don't get the extra clues gained by lip reading, word context, or the setting in which it's acted.

Anyway, hopefully that's a start. :)

gamboler

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Thanks a lot, Eckaslike. There isn't a Mr Nesby in the film, I guess that the word can be "mystery" followed by "about". The rest is okay for me. I think I have now all the dialogues of the movie ready to translate. However, if someone else wanted to correct any of the words, he/she would be welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.