I expect <myself> to be back within a week.

WilliamTaft

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
An example sentence using "expect" in Longman Contemporary: I expect to be back within a week.

Can I say "I expect myself to be back within a week?"

The word "myself" adds nothing. What it does do is call attention to itself. Anybody hearing that will wonder why the sentence was phrased that way.

Last edited:
Yes, you can, but only if it you want to emphasise that you're talking about yourself rather than someone else. This may be done contrastively, for example.

@WilliamTaft Can you provide some context in which you want to use that sentence? (Even if a sentence is possible that doesn't mean there will ever be an occasion to use it.)

Can you provide some context in which you want to use that sentence? (Even if a sentence is possible that doesn't mean there will ever be an occasion to use it.)
Thank you, Tarheel.
I didn't have that context.
I just try to understand the difference between the two constructions: "expect to do" and "expect someone to do."

@WilliamTaft What I expect you to do is provide a complete sentence using the phrase(s) in question.

I didn't don't have that any context. I am just trying to understand the difference between the two constructions no colon here "expect to do" and "expect someone to do."
In that case, come up with a new example, one for which you can actually think of a context. It's a waste of your time and ours to work on a sentence there is no use for.

Back