Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"I broke my arm" is the most natural way to say it.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Don't ask which one is better—they have different uses.

I agree with Tarheel that I broke my arm would be the most likely thing to say in such a situation but the fact that she didn't say it, instead preferring to use the passive voice, suggests that there was a good reason not to say it.

Remember that this utterance is purely fictional, though. I don't think we need to spend time analysing it.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
... especially as this video leads children to believe that every medical condition is treatable by getting some rest and eating a sweetie (AE candy).

I reckon that doctor bought his qualifications on the internet—a monkey could do what he did (no offence to any monkeys reading this).

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I did not bother to look at the video until after seeing Rover's comments. The children visit the "doctor" for the most minor complaints. One sneezes and says she has a cough. The "treatment" is always the same. The "doctor" hands the patient something and tells them to get some rest.

Apparently, ESL learners are supposed to believe we say "My arm got broken" if that happens. (The "treatment" for a broken arm? Eat a sweet and get some rest.)

You've got to be kidding! (Somebody is, anyhow.)

Would I recommend that to help somebody learn English? You've got to be kidding! (It was produced by a couple of morons.)

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
The two structures brought up by me are very similar to "I must do it" or I must get it done".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"I got my arm broken, and that's the last time I gambled with the mob."

J

J&K Tutoring

There is actually a third structure: My arm broke, as in: I slipped on the stairs and my arm broke in the fall. My preferred example involves an incident at a party:
A. James broke a glass.
B. A glass got broken.
C. A glass broke.

There are reasons for using each.
A. Is most factual and descriptive, but maybe not so tactful.
B. More neutral, as it doesn't fix blame on any one person. Maybe we don't know who broke the glass. Of course we would know how our arm got broken.
C. Actually shifts 'blame' to the glass/arm itself! This one doesn't work very well for an arm, though it is possible, as in my example above.

Status
Not open for further replies.