I have lived here all my life. I’ll never move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice Chu

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
1. I have lived here all my life. I’ll never move.
We don’t use “have been living” here because it means a temporary action and the speaker will move in the future.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No, that's not right. If the speaker says she'll never move, we have no reason to think she will.

Alice Chu

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
No, that's not right. If the speaker says she'll never move, we have no reason to think she will.

Quiz: Present Perfect Simple & Progressive 2

Q1 - I've ____ here all my life.
lived
been living
Either could be used here

The answer is "lived". Is the answer correct?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No. The correct answer is that either could be used.

Where did you get this quiz from? Do you know why the person who wrote it believes that lived is the correct answer?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Interesting! I disagree with UE's answer. It should say that either could be used.

There's an error in Q5. The opening question, "What have you been?", is not natural.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I got only 70% on that. It's clearly time I retired - or perhaps Alice wrote the quiz.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's a poorly written quiz, in my judgement. I wouldn't recommend it. In fact, I'd rewrite it or take it down.

I also got 7 out of 10.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I got 9/10 - Q1 (the one being discussed in this thread) was the one that was marked wrong.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You are less tolerant of alternatives than jutfrank or I. It may be caused by the lack of meat in your diet, or perhaps by your OCD disorder.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

I thought that maybe some learners would be interested in the opinion of an author who is respected by many teachers and students.

1. "We often prefer (my emphasis) the present perfect progressive to talk about more temporary actions."

a. "I've been living in Sue's flat for the last month."

2. "We often prefer the simple present perfect" for "longer-lasting or permanent situations."

a. "My parents have lived in Bristol all their lives."

3. Personally, I feel more comfortable telling people that I have lived in Los Angeles since the 1940s.

-- Michael Swan, Practical English Usage (1995), page 426 (entry 420.6).

Alice Chu

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Could you please write some quizzes or tests to help me understand well about present perfect and present perfect continuous? Thank you very much for your help. By the way, I haven't written any quizzes or tests here.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Could you please write some quizzes or tests to help me understand well about present perfect and present perfect continuous?
I couldn't. I doubt if anybody could devise infallible quizzes. Four fairly knowledgeable people got different results on the quiz we mentioned above. The compiler of the quiz presumably got ten right (in their opinion), emsr2d2 got nine, and jutfrank and I got seven.

If you have enough context, there are situations in which one of the two forms is unacceptable, and many situations in which one is unlikely. However, there are many situations in which either is possible. I think you understand generally how we use the two forms most of the time, but you are trying to pin too much meaning into the use of a tense/aspect alone. As you have discovered, different people give different opinions. Much of the material you have found, including what members here say, should be taken as guidelines, not rules. If there were infallible rules, we would all know them.

By the way, I haven't written any quizzes or tests here.
That was one of my occasional misguided attempts at humour.

Last edited by a moderator:

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I think you understand generally how we use the two forms most of the time, but you are trying to pin too much meaning into the use of a tense/aspect alone. As you have discovered, different people give different opinions. Much of the material you have found, including what members here say, should be taken as guidelines, not rules.
I agree with you wholeheartedly.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think you should stop trying to make up your own examples, and stop referring to online resources. You're not going to learn a lot by doing poorly written quizzes you find on the internet. Since your goal I assume is to be able to teach this stuff, I'd suggest you get some professional reference books and learn from those. I'd be more than happy to recommend some to you.

Alice Chu

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Since your goal I assume is to be able to teach this stuff, I'd suggest you get some professional reference books and learn from those. I'd be more than happy to recommend some to you.
Please recommend some professional reference books to me. Thank you very much for your help.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Please recommend some professional reference books to me.

Before I do, please give me some background on your teaching. The better the picture you give me, the better I'll be able to recommend resources. If you don't want to say it here, feel free to PM me.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
As an aside, there is a genre of American humour that features unhelpful, laconic but indisputable replies from a farmer. His answer to "Have you lived here all your life?" would be "Not yet".

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.