Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
UK
One of my co-workers been speaking about Japanese history for 1 month and he said something like Japan is steeped in ancient history. I look up this phrase on Merriam Webster and this what the site gives me.

Source: Merriam Webster

Definition of steep in
1: to make (someone) know and understand a lot about (something)
Prior to his trip, he spent a few weeks steeping himself in the language.
—often used as (be) steeped in
She was steeped in the classics.
2—used as (be) steeped in to say that there is a lot of something associated with a place, time, etc.
an area steeped in history

I'm not what the general meaning of this idiom. I get the impression of baby chick getting help support from mama hen. that someone learning skills and knowledge from person or place. or that person inheriting quality from some person or place.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
One of my co-workers been speaking about Japanese history for 1 a month and he said something like "Japan is steeped in ancient history". I looked up this phrase on Merriam Webster and this what the site gives me.

Source: Merriam Webster

Definition of steep in
1: to make (someone) know and understand a lot about (something)
Prior to his trip, he spent a few weeks steeping himself in the language.
—often used as (be) steeped in
She was steeped in the classics.
2—used as (be) steeped in to say that there is a lot of something associated with a place, time, etc.
an area steeped in history

I'm not sure what the general meaning of this idiom is. I get the impression of a baby chick getting help support from a mama hen, that someone is learning skills and knowledge from a person or a place, or that person inheriting a quality from some person or place.

I have no idea where your chicken idea came from! You need to know another use of the word "steep" - to soak something in a liquid for an extended period of time. The problem is that you looked up "steep in" but you needed to just look up "steep" (verb).

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Last edited:
Status