Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I know that between two verbs I must to use TO. So, in the next phrase what is the correct construction: I like to listen to rap or I like to listen rap... What is the correct phrase and why? Thanks.

Re: to or to

I like to listen to rap or I like to listen rap
Take out the "I like to" and tell us which you think is correct. :)

Ok. Look this another example. Can I ask this question: What kind of sound do you like to listen?
So, I need to put the TO in the end of the question?

OK. Please look at [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] another example. Can I ask this question?

What kind of sound do you like to listen?

[STRIKE]So,[/STRIKE] Do I need to put [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]TO[/STRIKE] "to" [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] at the end of the question?

See my corrections above.

Yes, the question should end "... do you like to listen to?"

thank you. Help me a lot.:)

Thank you. You have helped me a lot.:)

You're welcome. However, you don't need to write a new post to say "Thank you" - you should click on the "Thank" button (it's next to the "Like" button).

Make sure you follow these rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with one appropriate punctuation mark.

Also, remember to write complete sentences.

Please. Why do we need to put "to" after the verb listen? What is the rule about it? thanks.

The rule is we always put "to" after "listen".

... and not when we say Listen up, everybody: I'm going up into the loft; listen for the doorbell..

Please. Why do we need to put "to" after the verb listen? What is the rule about it? thanks.
There are certain verbs in English that take prepositional objects. Here are a few examples:

listen to
look at
wait for

There are certain verbs in English than can be followed by a preposition with a prepositional object.
Sure, but the following are wrong:

*listen music
*look a tree
*wait the bus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back