I regularly do this ... (a little pause) for almost two years now.

Marika33

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Netherlands
  • As you know, I regularly talk to our guys, to our commanders on the front line... for almost two years now.
Does "for almost two years now" work in that line?
If not, would this be better if one said:
  • As you know, I regularly talk to our guys, to our commanders on the front line... I have for almost two years now.
If this one works, please help me understand, does it mean 1 or 2?
  1. For almost two years now, I have regularly talked to our guys, to our commanders on the front line.
  2. For almost two years now, I have regularly been talking to our guys, to our commanders on the front line.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As you should know by now, we ask you to give the source of evrything you ask about. If it's your own writing, please tell us.

Marika33

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Netherlands
As you should know by now, we ask you to give the source of evrything you ask about. If it's your own writing, please tell us.
Yes, it is my own writing.

Can't you just judge these sentences as they stand, objectively? Do these sentences change their meaning, depending on whether they are written by a native speaker or a foreigner? I could have found them, come up with them on my own, does it matter? What matters is whether the sentences are grammatical or whether they are natural, that's all. And this is why I come here.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It matters for legal reasons and copyright protection. Stating they're yours makes it clear you're not neglecting to cite a source. Failing to cite a source could potentially result in fines or even the website getting shut down by authorities if there were enough continued violations.

It also gives us a reference point to consider the sentences. The simple answer however is "because you're told to". If you don't like the rules of the forum, then you're not obligated to post. It sees like a pretty minimal commitment from someone for free, essentially unlimited, grammar advice, doesn't it?

As to your original question - it depends. Are you finished talking with them? Is so, use #1. If you'll continue to occasionally speak with them (or think you might), use #2.

Regardless, I'd restructure your sentence a bit to something like 'our troops and commanders'. It's a little confusing if you're trying to clarify whether you're only speaking with the commanders, or speaking with both commanders and enlisted. If it's only the commanders, then just say 'to our commanders'.

Marika33

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Netherlands
It matters for legal reasons and copyright protection. Stating they're yours makes it clear you're not neglecting to cite a source. Failing to cite a source could potentially result in fines or even the website getting shut down by authorities if there were enough continued violations.

It also gives us a reference point to consider the sentences. The simple answer however is "because you're told to". If you don't like the rules of the forum, then you're not obligated to post. It sees like a pretty minimal commitment from someone for free, essentially unlimited, grammar advice, doesn't it?
Got it. I don't mind mentioning if it's my writing or if I found it somewhere, and I will do so from now on. The problem was something different. It looked like sentences change their meanings and their naturalness to you, depending on whether they are written by a native speaker or a foreigner.

As to your original question - it depends. Are you finished talking with them? Is so, use #1. If you'll continue to occasionally speak with them (or think you might), use #2.
So, the difference between the perfect simple with duration 1) "I've talked to them for two years" and the perfect continuous with duration 2) "I've been talking to them for two years" is that, as you said, in case of the perfect simple, the action is finished while in case of the perfect continuous, the action will probably go on, right?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It looked like sentences change their meanings and their naturalness to you, depending on whether they are written by a native speaker or a foreigner.
Rubbish
So, the difference between the perfect simple with duration 1) "I've talked to them for two years" and the perfect continuous with duration 2) "I've been talking to them for two years" is that, as you said, in case of the perfect simple, the action is finished while in case of the perfect continuous, the action will probably go on, right?
Not necessarily. Skrej suggested using the non-continuous form if you had finished talking with them and the continuous form if there was a possibility that you might contunue talking with them. That is not to say in the non-prgogressive form definitely means that the aciion is finished or that the progressive form definitely neabs that the action is not finirhed.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Can't you just judge these sentences as they stand, objectively?

Not really. They need to be analysed in the context they were uttered in.

Do these sentences change their meaning, depending on whether they are written by a native speaker or a foreigner?

Importantly, yes.

If a proficient native speaker uses a certain unusual or antiquated alternative or unnatural or original structure, or phrasing, or word order, we can assume that he means it, and so we can ask why he used such language, and what effect such use was intended for. If a learner does the same, we usually consider it an error (he doesn't mean it) and so ignore it.

I could have found them, come up with them on my own, does it matter?

Yes.

What matters is whether the sentences are grammatical or whether they are natural, that's all.

That's far from all. What matters primarily is the meaning and use of the sentences, as they exist in real language in use.

I suggest (again) that you don't make up your own sentences to study. For the purpose of study, use only good examples of authentic language in use.

Marika33

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Netherlands
I suggest (again) that you don't make up your own sentences to study. For the purpose of study, use only good examples of authentic language in use.
I've said it a couple of time but, "repetition is the mother of learning" as they say, so. I (like many others) choose my own sentences precisely because I want to know how to convey certain ideas when speaking English. I offer a few ready-made options, and if they turn out to be unnatural or grammatically incorrect, I look for other ways.